A RAID Question

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by hirstopher, May 3, 2005.

1. hirstopher macrumors newbie

Right, so in my infinitely misguided wisdom I raided two drives together in anticipation of my Tiger install tomorrow. The question I have is this: When I go through the full install of Tiger if something terrible were to happen that required a disk restore would I be able to simply plug in the two raided drives and Mr. Powerbook would recognize them as such, or am I wasting my time when I should be simply taking the time to copy over precious data to the two drives individually?

Wow, that was longwinded.

Thanks,

Christopher

2. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

first off, you don't "raided" drives. You put drives in a raid array. Second, in your "raided" drives which level did you use, and what data did you put on the drives?

3. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

Why not carbon copy clone your old system onto your new drive then,

- Disconnect new drive
    - install tiger on primary drive
    - test and play with tiger on your primary drive
    - after you are satisfied with performance and everything tests to your satisfaction re-connect new drive and build your RAID array.

4. paleck macrumors 6502a

paleck

Stupid Raid question of my own...

I am looking at getting a powermac right now with a single 250 Gb drive. If/When I get a second drive for it will I be able to just set up that drive as a Raid Mirror or will I need to reinstall completely?

Sorry if this is a really stupid question, but what do you expect from a soon to be switcher. :eek:

5. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

It isn't a stupid question.

Yes you will be able to build a Mirror when you get your 2nd hard drive.. As long as the drive is the same size or larger then your old single drive partition you want mirrored.

6. paleck macrumors 6502a

paleck

Cool, thats what I was hoping...right now I am just trying to get all the info I can on things I might run into. Hopefully I can push the order button this month on a system. :p

7. csubear macrumors 6502a

csubear

Watch out, I know when building a software raid set in 10.2 you had to create a new paration for the raid set. This ment that the old partiation had to be deleted.