a real DVD backup question (not how do i burn dvd's)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by d-fi, May 16, 2004.

1. d-fi macrumors member

Hello

i want to backup my all my DVD's but i want to keep as much quality as possible. So what i want to do is strip out all of the 'extras', menus, warning messages, extra soundtracks and so on. All in hopes that i can get the size down pass the 4.7 gig mark and even if it's bigger then that at least it will require less re-encoding thus a better quality movie.

The end goal here is to have a disk that i can put in a DVD player, press play and the movie starts.

Now i have found a lot of PC programs that can be used to do this but what i've been having trouble finding is a Mac program that will do the same thing.

Does anyone know of anything that might do the job? even if i have to use X11 to use a unix based program.

Thanks

2. live4ever macrumors 6502a

3. krimson macrumors 65816

krimson

Democratic People's Republic of Kalifornia
    DVD2OneX will do it, but good luck NOT lower the resolution to fit 4.4GB, as most of your space taken in a 6-7gb DVD is the movie itself (from what i've seen).

Wait til the dual layer DVD-R's come out. That's your best option if you refuse to lower resolution.

4. Laslo Panaflex macrumors 65816

Laslo Panaflex

You are right it is impossible to not lower the resolution using DVD2oneX, but the results of fitting it onto a DVD-5 aren't that bad. In my experiences most DVD-9 movies are not encoded in variable bit-rate, so there is alot of useless used information. DVD2oneX reincodes it in varible, so where scenes where there is less action is takes up less data.

That's how I think it works at least, if I am wrong please let me know. Anyway, I have never really been disapointed with the quality of my recompressed DVD's.

5. BrianKonarsMac macrumors 65816

not going to happen. at most you'll cut out a few hundred megabytes...which will hardly affect the quality. i personally notice no loss in quality, DVD's are already compressed, and the additional compression isn't noticeable IMO.