A really wierd OS and a quest for information.

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Kingsnapped, Jan 14, 2004.

1. Kingsnapped macrumors 6502a

Kingsnapped

Wayyyy back in the day (circa 1994-95) my first major exposure to computers was at my dad's office. He had just gotten top-of-the line Acer computers. In addition to windows 95(!) there was as I remember, another OS on it.
    The theme was a Lion, and I belive it was an OS designed by Acer. On the sides, there were tabs for different groups of Applications. All of this is back when I was 8 or so, so I'm not too clear on the specifics.
    I can't find anything on Google, or Acer's site. Does anybody remember anything about this obviously ill-fated attempt as a new OS? Why they attempted to make it? Or was it just a skin of some sort for Windows? I know it's not really a Mac related question, but you're the only computer-y people I have any faith in. Thank you much.

2. Stelliform macrumors 68000

Stelliform

Re: A really wierd OS and a quest for information.

I think I might know what you are talking about, but I cannot for the life of me remember the name. The GUI I am thinking of came with the AOL ver 1.0 (or 1.1) floppy to give your DOS PC a GUI. It wasn't an OS, since it sat on DOS.

I am going to poke around and see if I can figure out the one I am thinking of...

Geos was the name of the one I was thinking of. (thank you google groups...)

Here is a link. No Tabs... Sorry

(BTW that site is cool! It has dozens of old GUIs archived...)

3. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

Acer had its own desktop GUI environment that came with their brand new Windows 95 computers, I know since my parents got a 90 MHz Acer Aspire back when 95 had just came out. It was called the Acer Computer Explorer or something like that (for some reason the word "ACE" comes to mind) and the GUI reminds me of the "button" view of OS 8/9 days and was a terrible GUI that hogged resources and RAM like crazy.

4. Kingsnapped thread starter macrumors 6502a

Kingsnapped

PBG5, that sounds about right. I believe it came on the first incarnation of the Acer Media Desktop.

5. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

If your parents kept the CDs with it, the Acers shipped with a special CD restore with that GUI on it so I bet you could install it on a PC and relive those days if you ever wanted. In fact, I think I still have the CDs somewhere at home, I have floppies and CDs dating back to the old 286 Packard Bell we first got.

6. Kingsnapped thread starter macrumors 6502a

Kingsnapped

They were at a business that my dad worked at. If they still exist somewhere, it would be a hell of a challenge to go back there and convince them to surrender them to me.

7. expert01 macrumors newbie

Sorry for dragging up an old post like this, but I just found it while searching for Acer Computer Explorer.

Screenshot Gallery http://img225.exs.cx/gal.php?g=aceaddfolder5qs.jpg

I'm trying to find the download I have for it (versions 1.1, 2, 3, and 4.01) but it is probably on my other hard drive, which has a servo failure on the seek arm.