Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kuanyong

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2012
Do you see 4" screens anywhere in the App Store?

arn

Maybe the iTunes API hasn't been updated to provide the 4" screenshots? I haven't seen any among the handful of apps that I checked. I'm sure it's only a matter of time that these screenshots start to appear in the API feed -- developers releasing iPhone 5-ready apps have to provide both Retina 3.5" *AND* Retina 4" screenshots.

I'd like to know how these guys are already approved and live. We submitted on Friday and haven't even moved into review. Maybe they asked for an expedited review?

Some of these iPhone 5 claims can't possibly be legit. Many of these apps aren't exactly "Tier 1" apps that receive special treatment from Apple, and I saw at least 1 app that was submitted 2 weeks ago claiming to support the iPhone 5. Perhaps some of these devs assumed that the iPhone 5 would simply render their apps on a bigger screen when in reality this is done on an opt-in basis?

snowcrash

macrumors regular
May 30, 2011
Boston MA, USA
Not impressEd.

A taller screen does nothing.

What app do u even need taller? Lol

----------

Why does that matter ?

It does nothing for the game

Really?!? You can't see the added benefit of a longer screen when it comes to Angry Birds? Of all the examples to use that's probably one of the worst ones you could have mentioned.

Lancer

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Australia
Really?!? You can't see the added benefit of a longer screen when it comes to Angry Birds? Of all the examples to use that's probably one of the worst ones you could have mentioned.

+1

The taller screen was also added for movies so it's closer to 16x9, not that many watch a feature film on there iPhone, well I never have.

Nicky G

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2002
Baltimore
+1

The taller screen was also added for movies so it's closer to 16x9, not that many watch a feature film on there iPhone, well I never have.

All HD content is 16 x 9 however, not just feature films. So even small snippets, if HD, are going to take better advantage of the new screen aspect ratio.

andrewpturko

macrumors regular
Apr 23, 2012
I'm primarily interested in which apps. support Passbook. Considering that Passbook is by far and away the closest thing we've yet seen to a full-scale "digital wallet" and this is something I've been craving for years, I'm hoping lots of developers (of products and services I consume of course) jump onboard!

Companies I'd like to see:

• Every movie theater chain
• Sports teams incl. MLB, GO ORIOLES!
• Every single store I have a plastic barcode loyalty card for, CVS, Walgreens, Super Fresh, Giant, Godiva, etc. etc.
• My health club which uses a barcode tag for entry
• Amtrak
• Airlines

I'm almost positive this is imminent. In the meantime, there is a subpar alternative for making passes in Passbook - just head on over to PassSource.com on your iPhone - surprisingly, it's quite fun and an effective use of Passbook before all of the applicable apps adopt Passbook integration (and has many of the passes you name available to make).

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
I'm looking forward to a taller Tweetbot. It'd be great to view more information on the screen.

Born Again

Suspended
May 12, 2011
Norcal

It wont change the game play nor change the fact that the game is boring

akac

macrumors 6502
Aug 17, 2003
Colorado
We have an iPhone 5 update that we aren't submitting until we can run it on real hardware and test. It's just not worth the chance of a snafu.

Googlyhead

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2010
Regardless of wether you like (a) game(s) or not;

No, it won't change the gameplay, but will enhance the experience (greater view without pan/zoom). That's actually good.

However; there are some games where enhancing the gameplay could produce an unbalanced advantage; horizontal / vertical scrollers / shooters / platformers where you can see further ahead than the older versions. That's where the producers have to be careful when updating.
Not so much difference to FPS / twin sticks etc. aside from possibly more control placement freedom.

Yumbo

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2011
Australia
Would I be correct in guessing that the iPhone 5 apps have to be dual versions to support 3.5" screens as well?

Lancer

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Australia
All HD content is 16 x 9 however, not just feature films. So even small snippets, if HD, are going to take better advantage of the new screen aspect ratio.

Yes I know this, but I for one am unlikely to watch much on any new iPhone. Maybe the occasional YouTube clip if I'm bored and away from my Mac.

kiljoy616

macrumors 68000
Apr 17, 2008
USA
All I can say is those Apps do look cooler been a longer screen. I wonder how long I will hold on to my iphone 4s before I give into the temptation. Overtime here I come muhahahahah. :rolleyes:

snowcrash

macrumors regular
May 30, 2011
Boston MA, USA

"I hate everything popular! Look at my cool, hip, cynical side"

Again you're just being difficult for the sake of being difficult. Changing gameplay? Yeah maybe you're right, but it WILL make more of the screen available to see your shots with less scrolling sideways. That WILL "help" gameplay. Again there are a ton of examples of apps/games that 16x9 will not have an advantage with but Angry Birds (again) is one of the WORST examples to use to make your "I hate everything popular hipster" point.

Born Again

Suspended
May 12, 2011
Norcal
"I hate everything popular! Look at my cool, hip, cynical side"

Again you're just being difficult for the sake of being difficult. Changing gameplay? Yeah maybe you're right, but it WILL make more of the screen available to see your shots with less scrolling sideways. That WILL "help" gameplay. Again there are a ton of examples of apps/games that 16x9 will not have an advantage with but Angry Birds (again) is one of the WORST examples to use to make your "I hate everything popular hipster" point.

So don't like something that makes me a hipster? Lol

The wider screen does nothing - enjoy your video games

Stuipdboy1000

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
Glasgow, Scotland, UK
Delivery Status (a popular parcel tracking app) has been updated for iOS 6 and the 4" display! I use this app on a weekly basis so having it work with my new iPhone 5 out of the box will be great!

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Would I be correct in guessing that the iPhone 5 apps have to be dual versions to support 3.5" screens as well?

Most MacOS X apps support a huge variety of screen sizes, including multiple screens of different sizes, and a practically unlimited number of window sizes, and possibly a number of different window sizes simultaneously. And they are not dual or multiple or whatever versions.

So no, they don't have to be "dual" versions.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.