a "recording studio"?

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by mmoin, Dec 30, 2002.

1. mmoin macrumors regular

Jun 15, 2001
    Well, I've decided to take the plunge and ditch Windows for good to get a Mac. I'm wondering, if I want to do some relatively low-level recording (mostly vocal stuff with electronic accompaniment), is there any good entry-level hardware/software out there? Thanks.
  2. mmoin thread starter macrumors regular

Jun 15, 2001
  3. mymemory macrumors 68020

May 9, 2001
    Get the Protools free, I'm using it but if you want to do just a bit more you can get the M-Book from Digidesing as well. The Difference is that you are getting a usb audio interface with very nice sound and the software just like the Protools free but with unlimited audio tracks and capable of adding plu-ins.

Youcan use the inteface with other softwares and even iTunes, the mp3 files are going to sound like a DVD compared with the Mac original audio outputs that doesn't respond so well with low frequencies.
  4. alex_ant macrumors 68020

Feb 5, 2002
    All up in your bidness
    For software, the most powerful thing you could get for $0 would be Pro Tools Free. Also check out Spark LE and BIAS Deck, which I believe are both under $100.

For hardware, the Digidesign Mbox and Tascam US224 are nice, but expensive ($499 and $299 respectively). The Edirol UA-20 is a USB interface with 1x1 MIDI, 24-bit 44.1kHz audio I/O, an optical output, and OS X drivers (in beta) for under $140 (at eCost). No software included, though. There's also the M-Audio Duo and Quattro, which are around $229 I think.