A Redneck Weekend...

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by iGary, Mar 14, 2006.

1. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I hope I'm not the only one who sees something wrong with a 7 year old girl shooting a 50 cal. machine gun....

Sad :(

D

2. emw macrumors G4

emw

Wow. I don't even let my daughter play with toy guns. :eek:

That being said, it kinda looked like fun, but should only be for adults.

3. Deepdale macrumors 68000

Deepdale

Provided the adult is not named Dick Cheney.

4. emw macrumors G4

emw

LOL!

5. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Haven't watched the clip yet... but just reading the above responses... does that mean allowing a son or boy to shoot is okay, whereas a daughter shooting is unacceptable?

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I think it's good to give kids of either gender exposure and training in safe usage of weapons. I don't think they should be in the house or otherwise accessible. But I think shooting on shooting ranges is fine. And it might be knowledge that comes in handy someday.

But, ahem, I didn't think civilians had access to guns like that. Wowza! That thing is scary. I've certainly never fired anything close to that.

P.S. Let your daughter shoot is good. Shooting daughters is bad. :p

7. iGary thread starter Guest

iGary

I just got a kick out of them blowing everything in sight.

The I wondered where they got all this firepower? :confused: :eek:

8. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I just thought, "Damn, it's a good thing Gary didn't have access to one of those that night when the car alarm kept going off!" :eek: ;) :D

9. emw macrumors G4

emw

No, I don't think it's okay for a 7-year-old boy to be doing this either, it's just that in the clip it was a girl.

While I agree that understanding firearm safety is important, somehow I can't imagine the need to instruct anyone under the age of 18 (or really, anyone not involved in the military for that matter) how to fire a high-calibre automatic weapon.

Doesn't mean it wouldn't be fun to do, I just think we should look at it purely from an entertainment perspective, not a "firearm education" perspective. "Look Kelsey, here's how you use a 50 calibre automatic machine gun to rain hellfire down upon the neighborhood from the safety of your balcony. Just remember to wear your goggles and don't touch the barrel of the gun - it will be hot after shooing a few thousand rounds into your neighbors Oldsmobile."

10. iGary thread starter Guest

iGary

That'd be cool.

*BLEEP BLEEP*

"I've been tampered with, I've been..."

*BOOM* :D

11. floriflee macrumors 68030

floriflee

There is nothing more entertaining than watching people shoot at and blow up cars.... Automatic weapons among the common folk becomes legal and this is what entertainment has turned to.... :rolleyes:

12. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

How in the heck did they get hold of a minigun ? At least that is what I think I heard.

I also see something wrong with those adults letting the 7 year old girl fire that heavy machine gun. Instructing on proper handling of a loaded weapon is important but she is not likely to come across a 50. Cal in a school locker.

13. StealthRider macrumors 65816

StealthRider

I don't think that's a fifty-cal...looks and sounds more like a 7.62mm NATO round to me...

But this is still scary. As much fun as automatic weapons are...she's seven:eek:!

14. maestro55 macrumors 68030

maestro55

Before I begin my 'dissertation' onto this, let me begin by saying that I am very aware of the 2nd Amendment, however, I have often thought that the 2nd Amendment wasn't really relevant in this day and age. With that said, blowing up things, IMHO, is one of the worst kinds of entertainment that we can have. But that isn't as bad as a seven year old shooting a machine gun, and yes, it is damn scary as to wonder where these people obtained such firepower.

I also strongly disagree that it is important to teach children how to use a gun. I don't even think we should teach children how to HANDLE the things. We need to teach children that when they see a gun they need to avoid it and alert an adult as soon as possible. Maybe shooting is a sport for some people, and maybe I will be bashed by those who are target shooters; however, I really dislike guns. I am not saying that we should get rid of all guns, because that wouldn't be logical. The minute we take guns away from the good people only criminals will carry them. However, there are countries with little gun violence, and then there is the United States where gun violence is a serious problem. Shouldn't we begin to work on trying to end gun violence? I don't believe that having gatherings aimed at blowing things up and firing machine guns is going to help the obvious problem that we have in the United States.

15. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

That's about the most mentally deficient thing you can do. But that girl :( I feel sorry for her. to have parents that let her do that.

This is why I will never set foot in America. that 2nd amendment thing just scares me. I'm not going to a country where you're allowed to carry a gun. What was it that Sting said? "Takes more than a license to hold a gun".

I could write loads but i'm going to keep away from the internet before I get more scared.

16. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Englishman in New York?

17. StealthRider macrumors 65816

StealthRider

[​IMG]

I hate to tell you this, but it is legal to carry a gun in the UK. You'd better start packing.:rolleyes:

18. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    I see nothing wrong with the girl shooting the 50 cal. It was tripoded and she was supervised.

I see nothing wrong with citizens owning such weapons. The 2nd Amendment was so people could have military grade firepower. The idea was that if we were ever invaded again that the citizenry could rise up and grind down the opposition.

I would love to own such a weapon. Actually my interest really lies in artillery pieces, but first I need more land.

19. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

That looked like a blast.. particularly the portion where the minigun was employed (you can hear the "whirr" of the massive rounds per minute).

Plus, I've always wanted to nuke a Thunderbird.

20. iPhil macrumors 68040

iPhil

I saw the video on tv and it looked so much .. :D :eek: :eek:

the tv version was on like 4-5 months IIRC :eek:

21. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

Technically, you're correct, but barely...
    1) You have to have a license. And this isn't a generic "i own a gun" license. If you have a rifle license and decide to get a shotgun, you have to get a whole new license.
    2) You have to keep the gun locked up at all times when not in use. Just to be sure, you're inspected
    3) If it's a rifle (not an air rifle, though, but the easiest way of killing someone with one of those is to beat them round the head with it), it has to be kept at the local rifle club
    4) As far as I remember, you can't even own a pistol or automatic weapon, no matter how hard you try

I agree with you here. It's not as though she found the thing in her parent's bedroom and started playing with it. To be perfectly honest, if she starts now, by the time she's 18, she could be one hell of a sharpshooter :eek:

22. bursty macrumors 6502a

bursty

Theres nothing wrong with this video. I would much rather see videos like this on the news with families at the shooting range then random gang shootings and drive-bys. :rolleyes:

23. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    I know a couple of girls who bagged a few thousand dollars each in scholarship money doing sharpshooting contests.

24. ChrisWB macrumors 6502

Hmm.