A retro pic of a 2004 computer!

Discussion in 'Community' started by mymemory, Sep 20, 2004.

1. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

Ok, I just wonder what they would make out of an iPod idea.
    [​IMG]

2. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

That just makes me laugh. Not at the technology or design, but of how off that picture is compared to computers nowadays. I mean look the iMac G5 or 12" Powerbook. :rolleyes: Those are a "little" bit smaller than that.

3. dotnina macrumors 6502a

That is hilarious! How long ago did they make this prediction of a "2004 Computer?"

4. Spizzo macrumors 6502

Man...If I could get one of those steering wheels for my PB....

Ohhhh Boy!!!!! :D

5. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Is that the scroll-wheel for the mouse behind the guy?

6. Flowbee macrumors 68030

Flowbee

How long ago?

50 years ago, maybe?

7. sorryiwasdreami macrumors 6502a

sorryiwasdreami

I need those pressure guages for the iMac G5.

I need a computer where I can step on the gas and grab hold of the steering wheel and just drive that son of a bӁ‡¢h into the ground.

8. KingSleaze macrumors 6502

Looks very similar to a part of a US Navy Submarine to me (without the TV and teletype).

9. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

it's a cute pic and very funny

unfortunately it's a fake...the teletype machine is from the wrong period...also note the style of the keys...not until 20 years later did that come about...the ten key pad on the right...also a later innovation

computer history is a hobby of mine and i grew up in silicon valley and have talked to many oldtimers...well i am pretty old at 40 if we are talking anything high tech, but one of my former networking students worked in the field during the 50s

some techies i know who got used to computing before gui never got used to it and the concept of windows and memorizing locations of items in a menu is so against how they learned computing and many from that period...before 1984 for most...will never get used to gui

my friend who teaches cs grad students has two P4s for programing low level stuff/command line at work but still chooses to do his work on his ancient desktop

it's not a bad photoshop job but the creator of the pic got the lighting wrong...note the computer paper...that's where it looks most fake in the picture...oh, and that's a slightly later invention, too ;)

10. belair macrumors 6502

belair

Nice job jefhatfield. I was surprised by the mix of the big wheel, early 50's and the more late 60's looking keybord thing.
    But I am certainly not as knowledgable in computer history as you are, it's more of a design thing for me.
    The man standing in the picture looks very fake as well. He is pretty small and has a pretty clear outline around him. He is also very "in focus" compared to the rest of the image.
    ( once the suspiscioun sneaks in…)
    I guess the heavy noise was added to flatten the whole thing out.

This image can go back to where it came from. :)

11. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

the funny thing about computers is the more i learn, the more i realize i don't know so i am by no means an expert ;)

maybe it's real and they got the technology from area 51

12. belair macrumors 6502

belair

If it were real the guy standing next to it should be wearing a Matrix leather suite and the screen behind him should be dual 30 inch flat screens. :cool: . I don't think this IS real.

But this area 51 one thing might be the clue to where Steve gets his cool ideas.

:eek:

13. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

i think steve is "spaced out" a lot of the time ;)

14. neut macrumors 68000

neut

15. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    Teletypes that did pages and not just ticker tape were in the late 30s.
    Univac which would have been contemporaneous with that *mock-up* had a keyboard input (mostly took punch cards though.) I have no clue as to what the wheel would be for.

16. aricher macrumors 68020

aricher

I couldn't resist - please click on image to read "enhanced text"

PS - how do you post a photo so it comes up large like the original photo in this thread?

Attached Files:

17. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

18. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

let's say that this is a real picture...i would like to see the keyboard closely...keyboard inputs were not the common thing and that is a major understatement, but when they were used, the keys were laid out alphabetically (a, b, c, etc)...any attempt at a qwerty keyboard was laughed at by the very smart, yet impractical math phds who pioneered this field...that is until a non degreed, self taught silicon valley kid named steve wozniak came along with this computer, called, um, the grapefruit?? ;)...anyone ever see that commercial?

the wheel is similar to ones i have seen in some low riders...omg, i don't want to start a hijacked thread about cars and aftermarket parts, he he, i am a stock/original type of guy and i always tell people i don't like riced out hondas or modified harleys...but when no one is around, i secretly dream of such a monstrosity...but don't tell a soul ;)

19. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

man that mockup is brilliant...that should have started this thread :)

everyone should click on this to enlarge!

20. aricher macrumors 68020

aricher

Well mymemory, ask and ye shall receive... Once again - click on the photo to enlarge.

Attached Files:

21. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

man, where do you find those pictures??

amazing

you can be very dangerous for either the kerry or bush campaigns ;)

so...he he...where were bush and kerry really at during the vietnam war!!!

22. aricher macrumors 68020

aricher

I made the "iPod Killer" out of the TV screen and computer dials in the original picture. The keyboard is an old Moog photo I found on Google image search - same with the head for Gates.

A Wacom Tablet can be a dangerous thing.

Oh yeah - as far as where Bush was during Vietnam, I think the "Globe," says it best...

Attached Files:

23. apple2991 macrumors 6502

I don't think that guarantees this picture is fake, seeing as how it is a PREDICTION OF WHAT COMPUTERS MIGHT LOOK LIKE IN THE FUTURE. They weren't saying what computers were necessarily like or standardized to be in the early 1950s, but visualizing many concepts that were just emerging, or even being conceptualized--and some that never came to fruition.

That being said, it still may be fake.

24. aricher macrumors 68020

aricher

I don't think it's a fake - I'll have to dig around in storage but I have some old computer magazines with other previsualizations created by the RAND Corp. Heck - just Google Image Search the name and you can find a ton of old mainframe dioramas, concepts, etc. I'll scan and post some if I can dig up my old science magazines.

25. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

actually that thought came to mind but does not jive with my many conversations with high tech oldtimers and the stories, and boastings, i have heard for over 30 years in northern california

one woman i knew dated a man who co-invented dos and while he could have really shaped our future, he didn't...he had ideas but he was an academic at one of our local colleges, and not a businessman and was aced out by bill gates...as we all were taken by that felon from redmond ;)

it's not too far out to think of those ideas in the photograph, hindsight, that some engineers could have put all those ideas together in a mockup, but if it's real, then it's extremely forward looking for 1954

what is really amazing is the "computer" from star trek and the little silver storage disk they envisioned

and their walkie talkie is very similar to a cell phone

that and the roles star trek gave an african american woman, a russian, and an asian american were years ahead of their time and some minorities, me included, have looked up to star trek as a civil rights role model...when lt. uhura wanted to quit the show, she was convinced to stay on by coretta scott king who told the actress that she was a positive role model

when coming up with the character of chekov, the producers weren't sure if a russian character would be good, during the height of the cold war, but making him beatle-like was the ticket..thank god for bangs ;)