A Sad Day At Dukestreet...

Discussion in 'Community' started by Mr. Anderson, Dec 10, 2002.

1. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

My 21" Apple Studio Display of over 3 years died last night...haven't figured out what to do with the case/shell even though the smell of burning circuitry is a clear indication that its dead.

And not only that, since I'm getting a new machine next year when the G5 or Power4 or what ever comes out and getting 2 LCDs for it, I didn't want to go out and drop a ton of money on a nice new monitor. So I went shopping today and ended up coming home with a Envision (you probably haven't heard of it, I know I hadn't) 17", nothing special, beige box, not flat screen, CRT monitor (brand new, though).

Why do I tell you that? Well, it only cost me $80!!! I'll put up with that for a while and when the new machine comes in, the Sawtooth G4 will end up being a websurfing/MP3 playing machine, and sometime part of a renderfarm....

Services will be held locally.....

D :(

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Ahhhh, poor thing *crys*
    I remember when I first saw one of those great 21" studio displays, it was brilliant, huge, clear & bright; fantastic displays.

RIP ;)

3. diorio macrumors 6502a

My condolences duke. The monitor you got should serve you well though, until you get a new computer. The smell of burned wires isn't an encouraging sign, my computer's fan makes funny noises and smells like its on fire. Hmm, hopefully it doesn't crash again.

4. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

did u go shopping yet?

also...that casing would make for a killer aquarium! :D

5. Mr. Anderson thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

yeah, I've been trying to think what to do with it. I'm not sure yet. And, ah eye, I mentioned that I got a new monitor in the openning post for $80. But don't worry, I won't tell anyone you didn't see that....;)

D

6. whfsdude macrumors 6502a

7. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

You mean a Poster Frame, I got a couple of those.
    I got the 'YUM' Poster when apple turned the iMac's into 5 colors on my wall. :D

8. whfsdude macrumors 6502a

Not really, I mean like he could put "real" pictures in it and put it on his desk or table or something :)

9. King Cobra macrumors 603

My bad to find that out, man.

These things happen.

At least you have some monitor to work with rather than none. I should order a bouquet of pointsettia for the monitor. :(

10. G4scott macrumors 68020

G4scott

just be careful if you take it apart. Have it discharged or whatever you have to do, because those suckers can be dangerous. I think the aquarium would look cool, though.

11. whfsdude macrumors 6502a

Erm... What about a hampster cage :p

12. kevin49093 macrumors regular

Macquarium

Has anyone else actually built one? I have mine shown on the applefritter site. It rocks!

13. Mr. Anderson thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Yeah, I know about the dischard, there is a large voltage capacitor in the thing. Best not to poke screwdrivers around randomly.

But I'm in a bit of a bind. I took out the obvious screws but I still can't get the thing apart. Anyone know anything about the 21" Studio Display? I might have to go over the xlr8yourmac and see if there are any mods for the case that include ligthing, that would have the correct disassembly procedure.

D

14. Mr. Anderson thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Re: Macquarium

Ah, but they don't use the Studio Displays.....this is going to be a pain I think. And for all you out there wondering about my possible skills in this arena, I'm an engineer and regular fix it guy, so I do know what I'm doing. It really isn't that obvious on how it comes apart. My guess is that its made to snap together and never come apart. But I think that for servicing reasons this can't be totally true, there has to be a way in.....

D

15. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Well...

Send it to me, then let me keep it. After that, I will tell you what to do, but in order to try it, you have to go buy another one ;)

nah, I think an acquarium would suck because the thing is only like a few inches thick, so its kinda small for that.

How about just replacing the LCD with glass and making it water proof, then put multi colored changing lights on the bottom. Then, but in a thing that makes air bubbles...like a pump

So you could have it full of water with bubbles going up, and colors changing... neat eh?

16. Mr. Anderson thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I'm actually thinking of possibly putting a TV in it, its got a power hook up and all, it will just take a bit of finagling. I'll figure it out and let you all know what happens, but in the mean time if someone knows the trick to openning it up, let me know!

Thanks,

D

17. ShaolinMiddleFinger macrumors 6502a

ShaolinMiddleFinger

Sorry to hear.... It's a black black day.... Hope that new Powermac comes soon....

I'll probably order my Dual Gig tomorrow... hopefully....but yeah, my head turns to the street for you. :(

18. wake up Jobs!!! macrumors regular

In arabic we say "didley" which roughly translates to "poor child":(

sorry to hear that .

-GaBe-O

19. beez7777 macrumors 6502a

beez7777

Re: Well...

i think it's a 21" crt, but i may be mistaken.

this is a very sad thing to hear. you can give it a burial at sea, those are always fun. although a macaquarium would look pretty cool, too.

20. medea macrumors 68030

medea

wow that really sucks so I'm sorry to hear it, it's cool that your going to recycle it into something else though.

21. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

a good techie could turn it into a large screen G3 crt imac if they can find an old version imac and i saw someone do this with a 21" inch beige crt on www.woz.org

really cool project

22. G4scott macrumors 68020

G4scott

It might be like the old iBooks... When I changed the HD in mine, I had to pry that sucker apart... That's the only thing about Apple's consumer line of products; they're made to be aesthetically pleasing, and not easy to be taken apart...

23. Mr. Anderson thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Yeah, but more thinking about it, there has to be a way to open one, since if you need to service it, you have to get inside. I've found some interesting slots and holes that might have screws hidden away. That might be the next try.

D

24. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Hmmmm... burning circuitry? Maybe you had an electrical surge of some sort. Maybe a qualified electrician would write up his/her opinion that the monitor was in fact fried by an electrical surge, that might have happend during that recent storm. Maybe your insurance policy would give you replacement value on something like a 21" display? Maybe, maybe, maybe?

25. iGav macrumors G3

The smell of a toasted CRT is so evil!!

I feel for you though.... my external Sony 15" LCD screen is beginning to play up, but luckily it's only 20 months old, so as Sony has 3 year warranties on their displays, I'll be giving them a call tomorrow to come and pick it up!!

The good thing is however is that they supply you with a loan display whilst they're fixing it, so it's not such a major inconvenience!!

The glory of a standard 3 year warranty!! :D