A Sad Tale of Baghdad's Zoo

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Macmaniac, Apr 19, 2003.

1. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

BAGHDAD (April 17) - Even the animals have gone. Baghdad's frenzied looting spree has left nothing untouched, and the city zoo is no exception.

Monkeys, bears, horses, birds and camels have disappeared, carted off by thieves or simply left to roam the streets after their cages were pried open.

More than 300 animals are missing -- only the lions and tigers remain.

The big cats, who were obviously too fearsome for the robbers, have been left neglected and starving in their enclosures.

In the days since U.S. troops entered the Iraqi capital, looters have ruled the amusement park in which Baghdad Zoo stands, roaming the site with rifles and crowbars and making off with anything of value.

"I am frightened to come here," said the zoo's vet Hashim Mohamed Hussein as gunfire crackled from across the park on Thursday. "But I have to see my animals. They are hungry but we have no money to feed them."

FORLORN

Mandor, a 20-year-old Siberian tiger and the personal property of Saddam Hussein's eldest son Uday, was slumped against the green bars of his cage, his beautifully marked coat hanging off his bones.

He looked up briefly as the vet approached, only to hang his head again when he realized his keeper was empty-handed.

Next door, Sudqa, a nine-year-old lioness, got to her feet and let out a low moan. The remnants of her last meal lay in the corner, a white bone chewed over and over.

Hussein said in all there were seven lions and two tigers, who each consume some five kilograms of meat a day.

"Five kilograms of meat would cost me 80,000 dinars ($30)," said Hussein. "And there are nine animals. I have nothing like this kind of money."

He said the animals were last fed properly 10 days ago, just before U.S. forces entered Baghdad. Spent casings of shells and bullets outside the zoo and a burnt-out Iraqi armored personnel carrier are proof of the invasion.

The Americans quickly swept through the west of the city, said Hussein, leaving the area in the hands of looters, who grabbed chimpanzees, Vervet monkeys, Pekinese dogs, love birds and cockatoos.

Off the main road, one of the zoo's camels grazes on a patch of scrub.

"The bears have gone too, I don't know if they took them or just let them go," said Hussein, who said he was also concerned for the well-being of Uday's even bigger collection of lions and tigers at his Baghdad residence.

With no U.S. presence in the park, would-be looters are on the prowl. One group was trying to uproot a large generator next to the model railway, ignoring Hussein's cries of disgust.

"There is no government, no security, no organization," Hussein said. "We are alone here and without help our animals will die."

I hope we can find some way to feed these animals. I hope we do beter then with the Zoo in Afghanistan where their poor old lion died because we did not feed him.

2. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

thats terrible, ive always had a soft spot for animals and its terrible because i doubt they are being treated well.maybe the us can get some zoologists over there and take care of whats left for the time being.

iJon

3. JesseJames macrumors 6502a

Somebody call Steve Irwin and his wife. Crikey!

4. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

That is very sad to hear, I'm an animal lover. Always a soft spot in my heart! :( Hopefully the World Wildlife Society will intervene to take care of these innocent animals!

5. idkew macrumors 68020

idkew

where the concrete to dirt ratio is better
    I hate to hear stuff like that.

It always hurts to see maltreatment of animals taken out of the wild. I hope we feed those lions, it would be a crime not to.

6. JesseJames macrumors 6502a

Do we airdrop the PETA people in now? Where are they? Dressing their dogs in outfits and taking them to pet psychics?

7. lmalave macrumors 68000

lmalave

I think I read that Kuwait was swooping in to save the remaining zoo animals, the same way they saved Ali the armless kid...

8. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

wow thats great to hear. good to see they are being helped. thanks for the info.

iJon

9. beatle888 macrumors 68000

beatle888

:rolleyes:

theres one in every thread.

10. phgreer macrumors regular

phgreer

You know. the monkeys may have been the ones who escaped and looted the museum.

Years from now monkeys will rule the earth from the capital city of Baghdad.

11. DavidCL23 macrumors 6502

Dumbass, do u know how many ppl they can feet there with that much meat!!! Are you saying you would prefer the lion instead of the ppl being saved! Dumb PPL! Better yet Selfish PPL! LOL

12. herr_neumann macrumors 6502

herr_neumann

Yeah. Caged animals do not have a chance. Looting angery mobs are sealing their own fate. Lots of aid waits for the people, AND they would get it if they would calm the f*ck down and just chill.

13. JupiterZen macrumors regular

Re: A Sad Tale of Baghdad's Zoo

I could never stand seeing the locked up animals in a zoo.

Putting animals in cages just so you can have some fun with your children on a sunny day is beyond me. Really.

It should have been banned a long time ago.

I think anyone who suddenly feels sorry for the animals now that they are victims of war, it a hypocrite. What about when they were locked up solely for our entertainment?

F.ucked up world :(

14. JupiterZen macrumors regular

It was a crime to put them in the zoo in the first place.

15. peterjhill macrumors 65816

peterjhill

Zoos are some animals only chance at surviving as a species. Most zoos use the money they make for various conservation programs around the world. People are more likely to be interested in something that they have seen in real life than something they hear about on tv.

Zoos are not circus'. The animals in most modern zoos do not perform for the public, except for animals that enjoy play time with people (like sea lions playing fetch).

What should they do about the zoo there? They should probably tranquilize them, put them in a truck, take them to the airport, and take them to a zoo in some other country for safe keeping. The zoo keeper/vet in the story could help out, go with the animals and nurse them back to health.

16. JupiterZen macrumors regular

And who is to blame for the fact that the zoo is their only way of survival?

Depends on your definition of performing. Their sole purpose for being there is for people's enterteinment. I don't think the jaguar neurotically walking from one side of the small cage to the other is having a very good time for himself.

It's the locking up and confining of animals in smaller places than their natural habitats would be that I'm against. If you want to see lions take a trip to Africa and see them in "the wild". For a far as you can call National Parks "the wild" ... it's a lot better that the cages we give them in zoo's.

17. beatle888 macrumors 68000

beatle888

18. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

no, they're busy trying to shut down petco's live animal cruelty (a very hideous thing in truth), trying to get companies to stop torturing animals for their own gain, trying to make people stop adopting pets to abandon them. PETA may be the brunt of a lot of jokes, but they have a hell of a lot to deal with right here at home.

animals are often the uncounted casualties of war... the afghan zoo thing was intolerable, so we're doing it again. im actually glad someone let some of the animals out, at least they stand a chance of eating then. there will be no zoologists sent over; no aid for these animals. Lives of animals are entirely worthless to us. it's why we invented the whole zoo/pet concepts to begin with.

pnw

19. idkew macrumors 68020

idkew

no, but PETA is trying its damn'dist to outlaw fishing. wayyy too left winged for any good to come from them. 1/2 of the world's conservationists are sportsmen.

20. idkew macrumors 68020

idkew

if we did not have zoos, i guarentee funding for our environment and animal conservation would drop dramatically. people have to see what they need to protect. think of zoo animals as ambassadors to their kind. they do more good than they ever could imagine. plus, many live pretty comfortably these days.

the large, large majority of people can not afford a safari. you think they should be denied seeing what that lion really looks like? maybe they will check no next time an enviromental defense budget raise is on the ballots.

(speaking for most US zoos...but there are some pitiful ones out there)

21. JupiterZen macrumors regular

You are probably right about the awareness, but I don't think a neurotic animal walking up and down his cage makes a very good ambassador for his kind. I think a good documentary on National Geographic Channel showing them in their natural habitat would do a much better job in showing their valuable existence.

Too bad everybody watches silly gameshows and things like Idols these days.

22. Macmaniac thread starter macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

Update on the Zoo. As mentioned before a couple of thoughtfull marines contacted Kuwait and had them donate food and transportation of that food to the animals. I am very happy to here this, I am also told a fund is being set up to feed the starving animals. I guess some goodwill will come out of this chaos.

23. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

That's great, the Marines are coming through for the animals. It makes me:( to think of them in trouble. Thank you for the update! ;)

24. beatle888 macrumors 68000

beatle888

this is a very good point.

25. peterjhill macrumors 65816

peterjhill

Most zoos 20 years ago were horrible messes, more like a prison than a nice place to live. Now, thanks to some generous people, and I dare say, generous corporations, most zoos are very nice places to live.

These animals no longer have to worry about their next meal, most of them have carefully crafted habitats, and display of the animals is not always the primary purpose. At the Pittsburgh zoo, the lions have nearly an acre, and often can not be seen, unless you know what time of day to go (the morning). Only the bears habitats have yet to be rennovated.

Obviously there are some on this thread that will not be convinced, fine with me. I am glad that the animals will be taken care of.