A Scanner Darkly is becoming a movie!

Discussion in 'Community' started by question fear, Feb 22, 2005.

1. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

A scanner darkly by philip k dick will be made into a movie, directed and written by Richard Linklater!
    It's going to be the live-action animation style like waking life.
    check out imdb.com for more details.
    One problem(ish): Keanu Reeves is playing Fred...grrr.

2. Jovian9 macrumors 68000

Jovian9

Can't wait.......though I'd rather it not be live-action animation.....just live action with lots of special effects would suit me just fine.

3. Inspector Lee macrumors 6502a

Inspector Lee

Chew on this

I pray this isn't going to be butchered...

4. question fear thread starter macrumors 68020

question fear

mmmm chewy.

well the website gives me a small boost of confidence. and somewhere on the imdb forums (i don't have time to track the link right now) was a link to a teaser trailer that was pretty kickass.

scanner darkly is one of my favorite philipkdick books, next to the three stigmata of palmer eldritch.

5. monkeydo_jb macrumors 6502

That's funny, I just saw the trailer yesterday. I heard it prefaces Constantine.

6. Inspector Lee macrumors 6502a

Inspector Lee

I would classify A Scanner Darkly as the "most rock n' roll" of PKD's novels. Palmer Eldritch is high on my list along with Ubik. What intrigues me early on here is the 70s setting. At least, that is what the pics from the website look like.

The Barris character is great, especially when he makes the cocaine from solarcaine and table salt.

What is interesting is Dick's short stories seem to be easier to put down on film. Minority Report and Total Recall (a 3 page story titled I believe "We Can Get It For You Wholesale") were financially successful whereas his novels have not been touched save "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?" and "Confessions of a Crap-Artist." The latter was made into a french film.

7. question fear thread starter macrumors 68020

question fear

except paycheck ;-)

I think you are right, and I think it's that PKD put so much in his novels that it's very difficult to translate well visually. Often with a PKD book it takes two or three reads to really see everything. Even a scanner darkly, I read it once for a class and then again over the summer. Sometimes once just isn't enough.
    It's hard to capture that on film, especially without the depth of narrative description that a book offers.

8. MentalFabric macrumors 6502

MentalFabric

I can't wait, I hope they do it well and don't just go for ratings - I'm glad they're taking a leaf from waking life, gives me hope in the movie :-D

9. Inspector Lee macrumors 6502a

Inspector Lee

I've found if I read 3-4 PKD books in a row over a short period of time, it has an unsettling psychological effect. I mean, anything becomes possible.

What is truly sad is Dick was married 5 times, owed a boatload of alimony and despite all the novels and pubs, movie rights, died penniless.

10. question fear thread starter macrumors 68020

question fear

Haha, i'm glad someone else has that issue. I read "three stigmata..." and literally lay on my bed shaking for a minute or two to clear my brain.
    one of the hallmarks of pkd that's wonderful is his ability to literally throw you a mind****.
    see, all this makes me want to go tear through some pkd, and just keep hopin' against hope for this scanner darkly movie to capture that...

11. Inspector Lee macrumors 6502a

Inspector Lee

Not sure whether you check his books out of the library, buy new (hope not) or buy used. Over the years, I've been able to snag about 20 of his books at a few used stores in town. All from the sixties and seventies with the cool cover art, not like the crappy covers of today. I've paid anywhere between $3-$10/book which is significantly less than the $14-$16 one of the major chains will charge. Granted, these books were all mass market paperbacks and are not worth anything $$$-wise but the look, smell and feel is what I'm after.

A few years back, the used store in town had a signed limited edition screenplay of Ubik that came housed in a slipcase. I think the dealer wanted $450 because it was limited to 26 lettered copies. Some lucky soul bought it...

12. question fear thread starter macrumors 68020

question fear

i got into pkd via the library, but actually, i work at one of the "big chains", so I will probably pick up a few of his books with my next merchandise credit...
    :eek:
    we have a shocking amount of his stuff in our sci fi section, its kinda great. I often get teenage boys griping about summer reading to buy "do androids dream of electric sheep". They're thrilled, their parents are thrilled...I'm thrilled because a kid who hates reading is finally picking up a book, and some damn good reading too.

Anyhow, there's something "different" about a book you get in a used bookstore, like the energy of the person who loved the book before you is still there...maybe i'm just a romantic. but i digress.
    crazy! $450!!!!!
    (of course, if I had the money...;-))

13. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

WOW. That trailer is freakin' BRILLIANT. (Seriously.)