A Scanner Darkly... Select Cities...

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by XNine, Jul 13, 2006.

1. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    Anyone planning on seeing this film other than myself. Aside from being a huge Philip K. Dick fan, this film looks incredible. A Scanner Darkly is a great book...

The problem, it's playing in select cities. Denver isn't even on the map for it, though I have found insider info that says the Esquire Theater off of downing is playing it (not that many will care, since there's a total of 5 or 6 MR's in Denver) on the 14th.

How in the hell can they release a film like this in Select Cities? Are Americans still so stupid that they think anything animated is for children?

2. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Going to see it on saturday since its playing here....Looks interesting even though I can't stand Bill(Keanu) acting.

Bless

3. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

I'm going to try to see it on Sunday. Americans tend to correlate animation with the cartoons they watched as a kid. The interesting part is that if you watch some of the older looney toons animation, or even more recent stuff like Pinky and the Brain there are political and social jokes that are implanted in to the animation itself that most children just wouldnt get.

I love me some Japanese Anime anytime :D

Ed

4. poppe macrumors 68020

poppe

Comes here in Plano to the Angelika on the 14! sweet...

I like Anime to, but never know which good ones to watch because some can be so lame...

But I am seeing it because of the director.

5. pdpfilms macrumors 68020

pdpfilms

But it's not anime...

6. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

I might end up seeing it when it comes out on DVD, but I just think Linklater is too pretentious (though I'm looking forward to Fast Food Nation).

7. Felldownthewell macrumors 65816

Felldownthewell

I'm not even quite sure what the story is yet (well I have a basic idea but I haven't read the book or anything) but that animation looks amazing. Luckily here in portland we have an "alternative/artsy" theatre which plays major studio's movies, but the ones that don't usually go to all major theatres because they have a small audience, mostly because they do not feature sex and exploding cars. Interestingly enough this theatre is in Fox Tower (yes, as in the news company), and it is playing Scanner tommorow...I may have to go see it....

8. Deefuzz macrumors 6502a

Deefuzz

I think it looks amazing...I will try to see it this weekend

9. XNine thread starter macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    The movie was great. The effect of the animation was needed to pull certain things off and it was done brilliantly. Lots of nipples.

I went to see this last night and sat there wondering why this thing isn't in major theaters. How disappointing.