A Second Look at McCain as Kerry's VP

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Sayhey, Apr 5, 2004.

1. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

I have to admit that I thought it was just fantasy, but the more I listen to McCain the more I think he is positioning himself for the VP slot. I know he denies it, including in the article in the Boston Herald post below, but the rest of his statements look to me like a continuation of a move to be Kerry's running mate.

2. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I don't think we should read too much into some stock McCain comments. We already know that McCain despises Bush, but I hardly think he's ready to jump parties. That alone would be a bombshell.

3. Sayhey thread starter macrumors 68000

Sayhey

You could very well be right, IJ, but then why the comments about the Democratic Party? Why the rush to defend Kerry on his defense record? It may all be because Kerry and McCain are friends and McCain hates Bush, but if this keeps up I'm not so sure there isn't more to it.

I haven't even said I think it is a good idea, but it would be a blockbuster of a development. I think it would make a huge difference among independents, but if something were to happen to Kerry then we have elected a very conservative guy on many issues.

4. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

would he have to change parties even? are there DNC rules that prevent a non-dem from getting the nomination?

5. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I'd say it's something of a mutual admiration society but don't underestimate the depth of McCain's distaste for Bush. He was viciously savaged by the Bush attack machine in 2000 and you can bet he hasn't forgotten it. Also, as a moderate on most issues, McCain can hardly be feeling appreciated by his own party these days. Moderate and marginalized Republicans have bolted the party before, so I wouldn't rule it out, but McCain may also be dangling these remarks for effect and results within his own party. It's a fascinating kabuki dance. We'll probably find out what it means, eventually.

In answer to the other question, technically I don't think he'd need to change party registrations to run on the Democratic ticket, but as a practical and political matter, I can't see it happening any other way.

6. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i'm wondering if it's more healthy, politically, for mccain to stay GOP. i'd bet that a lot more repub voters would cross over than dem voters would stay home (because of lack of party-changing).

and i think the marketing benefits would be enormous. e.g. "John Kerry, the TRUE Uniter". what a way to send a signal saying, "the politics of bickering are over"

7. Frohickey macrumors 6502a

I think that McCain should bolt the GOP and join the Democrats.

He's a RINO anyway, same as NY Mayor Bloomberg, and CA Gov Schwarzenegger.

8. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Not to mention Bush, the RINO-in-chief.

9. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

I would think a Kerry-McCain ticket would be a slam dunk, but I'm probably underestimating the power of the lies and hate B/C 2004 are capable of spreading about anyone.

Hell, I bet they could ruin Powell if they needed to.

10. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Right. What the heck is Bush anyway? What do you call a free-spending, deficit-loving freedom-curbing social conservative?

11. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Spoken like a true "big tent" Republican. If everybody who didn't pass your ideological muster was kicked out of the party, the number of registered Republicans in US would be cut in half. I think you should start now.

12. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

They may have already managed to do just that...