A Seventeen Year Old Goldfish?

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by City of Glass, Apr 27, 2003.

1. sillymacgirl macrumors member

Re: A Seventeen Year Old Goldfish?

I've actually seen this on tv. At first I thought it was a joke of some kind...but low and behold, it really is a fish in a sling! It's amazing the effort people will put forth to help a pet. :)

2. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

wow... at first this is kind of comical, but i totally understand it, i would do anything to help my hedgehogs if they needed it... there's a disease common to hedgies that's basically multiple sclerosis, and their bodies slowly paralyze to death... people have been known to create little sliders to allow them to walk for a little longer... it's really sad but any little bit helps ... thank god for our veterinary insurance, one had to be treated for cancer and we would have never afforded it otherwise... she's ok now tho :)

pnw

3. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

i know how you feel, i have ferrets and i would do anything to make sure they are ok. just something about pets, they are family to me.

iJon

4. MacFan25 macrumors 68000

MacFan25

I didn't know Goldfish could live that long.

Good to see that people care about their pets! :)

5. springscansing macrumors 6502a

springscansing

6. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

I overheard a coworker on friday talking about how his girlfriend bought them a rabbit and it lived at his house, but he didn't like it so he didn't feed it half the time. How utterly cruel can you get. i can't stand people who go out and get pets just to inflict pain on them... just say it died and take it to an animal shelter, how hard is that :rolleyes:

if anyone out there is looking for good pet insurance, www.petinsurance.com, i don't work there or anything i just find their rates are very reasonable, and they cover a great deal of stuff from regular checkups/testing to prescriptions to major surgeries... i should go check if they'd cover putting a fish in a sling ;)

pnw

7. applemacdude macrumors 68040

applemacdude

14 year goldfish..ummmmm...I wonder how big it is?

8. City of Glass thread starter macrumors member

I owned three rabbits, once. We kept them around until forced to move, four years later. Didn't get rid of them, exactly. We tried to "set them free."

Hm. Let us infer that I learned the following axiom the "hard way": you don't release domesticated animals into the wild.

Why? They sit, stare, and do nothing. (I.e., become "meals" for those slightly higher on the Food Chain).

Anyway, they were very cute and loving while they were around. And were cleaned, fed, and other wise taken care of properly.

We actually "caught" the third one. Strange story . . . but that's for another post, another day.

Sincerely Yours,

C.o.G.

9. sillymacgirl macrumors member

LMAO, that's hilarious! But it's sooo true!! Ok, not funny that they'd become a meal for something else, but funny that they just sit there and look at you like you're stupid for looking at them saying "Go! Shoo! Be free!!"

10. City of Glass thread starter macrumors member

Because rabbits are basically furry balls of "nervous." That's their one predominant emotion -- always on the alert, ready to freeze into "if-I'm-still-no-one-will-get-me" mode.

Despite that, I feel for them . . . after all, there is something to the whole prison/cage analogy.

But yes, our rabbits simply sat and stared. Despite attempts to have them flee -- they were content, sitting silently, nostrils flaring at the same pace as their miniature hearts.

C.o.G.

11. evoluzione macrumors 68010

evoluzione

down the road, that's where i'll always be
    damn, dat be one lucky goldfish. how long is their memoryspan? 3 or 7 seconds?

goldfish 1 - hey, look at that castle!
    goldfish 2 - what's a castle?
    goldfish 1 - that thing over there
    goldfish 2 - what thing?
    goldfish 1 - with bubbles coming out of it
    goldfish 2 - oh, yeah, sweet, is it dinnertime yet?
    goldfish 1 - dunno, hey, look at that castle!

i can but dream, if only life were that pure and simple..... :p