A Simple One (I Hope!)

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Stan, Mar 16, 2004.

1. Stan macrumors member

I have a TiBook G4 up and running using an Airport connection to the internet, and would like a g3 iMac to connect to the same network to do the same. However, when I attempt to join the network, the error "unable to join network, as network administrator access is required". There is no administrator, except me (!), so I presume that when I have set up the original network I did not add another name required to join. Despite trawling through the Apple site for ages trying to resolve this, I have had to admit defeat. Can any helpful experts offer me a hint or two?

2. glosterseagul macrumors regular

What os version? 9.??

3. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

If you're running Mac OS X, check the "network" system preference and make sure you're allowing access to the Internet via airport. You may need to log in as administrator on the mac to do this.

4. Stan thread starter macrumors member

Running 10.3.2 on both machines. I have a feeling I need to identify the iMac on the TiBook somehow, but am unsure what settings I need to change. When I enter the password on Airport admin assistant, it tells me it is wrong, even though it is not. When I attempt to join via Internet connect, this is when I get the error message.

Thanks for your replies,

Stan

5. Stan thread starter macrumors member

Oh, meant to say, internet via airport is running.

6. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Are you running Airport Admin Utility or Airport Setup Assistant? Note that there are two different passwords/usernames: one to setup/administer your airport, and one to join the network. Perhaps you are getting these mixed up--though usually the Setup Assistant asks you if you'd like them to be the same. If all else fails, try doing a hard reset (search the Apple Web site for instructions) and running the Setup Assistant again on both machines. Write down those passwords! Did you set up a closed network? Then you'll need to remember both the name of the base station and the password.

7. Stan thread starter macrumors member

I'll try the hard reset business. Thanks for your help.