A simple(?) random question, re: About This Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by sonictonic, Aug 10, 2006.

1. sonictonic macrumors 6502a

I was just wondering how come sometimes when I see screen shots of the "About This Mac" window, for some people, it shows the "startup disk" and sometimes in other screen shots that information is not there. :confused:

On my iBook G4 I used to see it... but on my new MacBook it isn't there. In both cases, I run off a standard account (no admin rights directly)...

It's certainly no big deal, but I was wondering. Also, I would like to be educated :D

2. reh macrumors 6502a

I'm guessing it only shows up when you have more than one boot volume. Say Mac OS X and Mac OS 9. Or Mac OS X and Windows.

3. sonictonic thread starter macrumors 6502a

Really? Hmm... well I don't think that'd make sense then because I didn't have another "boot drive" on my iBook and I saw that on my about window. *To my knowledge anyway, lol* ...Would it matter if I have/had an external USB hard drive plugged in you think?

Thanks for the reply. :)

4. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

This was discussed a bit in the About this Mac thread... but I don't think we really reached a definitive conclusion... :eek:

5. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

It does indeed depend on whether another drive is connected - or perhaps also another partition is available - regardless of whether it/they are bootable. I just rebooted a Mac after disconnecting the external, and the About screen no longer showed a startup drive.

6. sonictonic thread starter macrumors 6502a

Mystery solved! I just tested this and you are absolutely right!

Thank you! :)