a slightly different question on gloss/nongloss

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by recentgrad, May 25, 2006.

1. recentgrad macrumors member

May 25, 2006
    As my user name suggests, I'll be heading to college in the fall, so I'm in need of a notebook. I don't play games or do any graphics-heavy apps so a macbook is perfect for my needs, but I have pretty bad astigmatism and my eyes get tired very easily. So while I'd love to stick with the macbook, I'm afraid its glossy screen would make my eyes strained much more than the mbp. I'd be more than happy to pay 500 more bucks for less wear on my eyes. What are your experiences? I've made multiple visits to the Apple Store but it's really hard to gauge eye strain by just staring at them for a few minutes. Oh, and also, I'm already planning on getting a 20" ACD just for the purposes of making it easier on my eyes, but I wont be able to lug that around for those all-nighters in the library. =)
  2. faintember macrumors 65816

Jun 6, 2005
    the ruins of the Cherokee nation
    Good question. I have astigmatism as well (but not too bad), and a MB. For the first two hours it bothered me a bit, but i got used to it. I do have to keep the brightness at about half or one notch under half (the screens are really bright). However i came from a TiPB with a 15" screen that has virtually the same resolution as the MB, so it wasnt that big of a switch for me.

I would wait for some more opinions though, b/c like i said my astigmatism is not that bad.
  3. eyedoc_00 macrumors regular

Jun 25, 2005
    As my user name suggets, I am an eye doctor. My recommendation is to get your eyeglasses with an anti-reflective lens. The anti-reflective lens will help reduce glare comming off the screen which produces eyestrain. Also it will help reduce glare and starburst patterns off car headlights at night.
  4. recentgrad thread starter macrumors member

May 25, 2006
    Yupyup, great advice; I have those lenses already.
  5. recentgrad thread starter macrumors member

May 25, 2006
    anybody have first-hand experience with this question?
  6. recentgrad thread starter macrumors member

May 25, 2006
    well, i guess not many people have had to consider this question, o well. thanks neways.