Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FatGolfer

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 3, 2006
Hello All

I am looking for a small, redundant backup solution.

I am considering getting a mac mini and a couple of IOmega MiniMax firewire drives.

My question is, is this a feasible solution? Can OSX support RAID and if so would it be able to set up RAID 1 on these external firewire drives?

If this is not a good solution can anyone else suggest a relatively cheap backup solution that is network accesible and compatible with OSX, Linux and Windows?

Thanks a lot...

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
OSX supports software RAID quite well. You can easily set up RAID1 on a pair of external drives. But if all you want is a network accessable RAID solution you might be better off buying an off-the shelf one like this. It appears to only be $299 without disks which is less than a Mac Mini and as it's not a general purpose device should consume less power...

rockstarjoe

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2006
washington dc
Not sure exactly what your budget is, but I purchased a Buffalo Terastation (1 Terabyte, Raid NAS) for $700 new off of eBay. You might want to check that out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.