A small investment...this might be worth your while.

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by iQuit, Jul 24, 2005.

1. iQuit macrumors 6502a

iQuit

http://www.chillpak.com/

This may have been posted before but I came across this thing and though it wouldn't work. I used it on my iBook and it does make it quite faster. I thought it was just a scam but I had nothing to loose so I bought it and it works...check it out.

2. .:*Robot Boy*:. macrumors 6502

Can anyone confirm the credibility of the theory behind this product?

3. iQuit thread starter macrumors 6502a

iQuit

Well my G3 iBook (old mac....but I use it for simple things sometimes) always went slow...and when I blew where the holes were it would speed up....and this seems to work so I don't know. I mean it is only logical.

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Dunno why but I just find it really hard to believe this will help all that much apart from maybe when you are using a notebook to do CPU intensive stuff over a long time period (rendering overnight or something).

5. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

If nothing else, it would seriously reduce (read: eliminate) fan noise. This is a huge problem with my 1Ghz TiBook, as its the hottest CPU ever put into a late-model Apple 'book.

6. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Problems:

1) The excited, aimless electrons story is bunkum.
    2) The product was released immediately after, and presumably to capitalize on, the hysteria around the "laptops cook men's testicles and reduce sperm count" press release.
    3) It would be next to impossible to type on a laptop that is wobbling around on top of this
    4) If you block off any fan vent holes on the bottom of the machine with this, it will cook the machine
    5) Quite simply, the only reason a computer would go slower if it were too hot is if it had a thermal protection circuit to scale the speed down if the CPU temp got too high (many do). But the only reason the temp would get too high is if the built in cooling system were not working. Computers are not engineered to normally run at or beyond the point of failure.
    6) It plays to the PC overclocker's mantra of extreme cooling to run their machines at higher speeds -- but the cause and effect are backwards. The machines are faster because the owners have modified the CPU and bus speeds, therefore generating more heat. NOT that cooling the machine more makes it faster. An ice pack will not make a normally functioning machine faster. There simply isn't any mechanism that permits that.
    7) The ONE thing it might do is make the fans come on less, which might be good. However, if the ice pack did not chill the machine evenly, and the thermostat that controlled the fans was in the ice chilled zone, you might set up a scenario where the fans don't come on, and areas of the machine that aren't ice chilled overheat, possibly to the point of damage.

LASTLY) I found a number of other fora where members made very similar posts: "I thought it was a hoax, but it really worked. I was skeptical but after using this I think you should buy it/check it out." This pattern is suspiciously familiar to the shills and trolls posting to push bogus products and sellers -- check the fraudulent Mac retailers threads

Conclusion: Joke product being viral marketed. Wateland please.

7. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

Wow that's the funniest thing I've read in a while. "Agitated" electrons, LOL. Gosh, all this time my computer was locking up because the electrons were confused.

8. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Only the Pope has the power to bless you notebook and force the electrons into alignment.

9. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

He learnt it in the Hitler youth. :rolleyes:

Well, it's gonna get wastelanded anyway. :p

10. The_Man macrumors 6502

The_Man

This is a great product and I recommend everyone buying three! :D ;) :p :) :rolleyes: ;) :p

JK. This product looks like a scam and the person who made this thread is probably involved with the product and is trying to make some more money.

11. iQuit thread starter macrumors 6502a

iQuit

Here is the thing....I am in highschool and I don't work for this company....it may be fake or it may not, it also may vary on your notebook. I use it mainly when I use my G3 IBOOK clamshell, Before I got this sometimes stuff would go very slow, when I blew air into where the vents are underneath the apple logo above the keyboard it would go faster, I bought this and I don't find it hard to use the computer. It seems to work for me though and if you think about it....it's very logical, the hotter your system the worse it is, this cools it down.

12. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

So basically this is a marked up version of those freezable ice packs we put in our lunches as kids? Give me a break...

13. Gizmotoy macrumors 65816

Gizmotoy

It's not logical, it is a load of crap. In a superconductor system, sure, temperature is a huge factor... but semiconductors are designed with a specific set of temperatures in mind, and can achieve full performance within their rated temperature band. Nearly all processors today are designed in this manner (as a sidenote, I design microprocessors). Which is not to say that they are not affected by heat, which can severly shorten their lifespan if not kept within the nominal operating ranges. As mentioned previously, the only possible way this could speed up the system is if the system itself has a protection circuit that slows the system down when a certain threshold temp is reached. Otherwise, the only thing this is going to do is keep the fans from coming on, or maybe slightly increase the processors lifespan (which is likely to outlive every other component in the notebook anyway).

As far as your computer, while it is extremely unlikely that blowing in the vents made the computer speed up, that behavior could have been caused by thousands of other related events... off the top of my head, by picking up the laptop you made a slight change to the tolerances in the hard drive, causing it to access the disk faster. It could be caused by practically anything.

14. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Congratulations, you get the gullibility award for this week.

I'm curious how you benchmarked the machine as running faster when you blew in the holes.

Basically, if your machine is running slow, and blowing into the vents cures the problem temporarily, the problem you have is a broken machine. Would seem to indicate that the fan(s) or cooling system were not functioning.

However, I suspect that the speed up is entirely between your ears :D - Placebo effect.

15. Rocksaurus macrumors 6502a

Rocksaurus

If heat's playing such a key role wouldn't overclocking a CPU slow it down? :rolleyes:

16. RooX macrumors newbie

how can you dismiss a product by a fine actor like Dean Haglund? He has been on many fine tv shows such as Super dave osborne, and X-Files, and uhhh Robocop.

Surley a man with so much experience can easily make a product to super charge our laptops :D :eek: :rolleyes: :(

17. Cuckoo macrumors 6502

Anyone who refers to a CPU as a computer processor unit can't be trusted....

People with that little knowledge are just out there to make a quick buck....

And apart from this, unless you're talking about comfort, it might do something, but apart from that... neh, doesn't do a thing....

18. iQuit thread starter macrumors 6502a

iQuit

Well I don't use it on any of my other Macs.....and it is kind of silly. Just it works with my G3 iBook and that's all that matters.

19. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

Save yourself some money and put your PB/iBook on a pair of icecube trays :p

20. JonMaker macrumors regular

That's exactly what I'm thinking. Wasteland.

What about minimum operating temperatures? :eek: