A smaller macbook(pro)?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by princealfie, May 26, 2006.

1. princealfie macrumors 68030

Mar 7, 2006
    Salt Lake City UT
    I presently own a 12" powerbook and love it quite a bit. I was wondering whether anyone here wants a smaller subnotebook from Apple. I certainly do. Actually 4.6 lb of my 12" powerbook is much lighter than even the 5.2 lb of the macbook :)

Ideally I would like to slim down to 3.5 lbs but I guess that's not happening with the heat issues? Wonder how sony gets its small vaios?
  2. Josias macrumors 68000

Mar 10, 2006
    Apple will not make an 11.1" MacBook. It clearly says on their website: Meet the family, now complete (showing all the MB's and MBP's). Vaio is a cool computer, yet if you want a small mac, the best soloution is MB.
  3. celebrian23 macrumors 65816

Mar 12, 2006
    Under the sun
    Not happening. Apple is saying indirectly the laptop line is done. I would love a lighter notebook, but it's just not realistic with what they've done to their line.
  4. chrislee8 macrumors regular

Jul 26, 2004
    NY, NY
  5. miniConvert macrumors 68040

Mar 4, 2006
    Kent, UK - the 'Garden of England'.
    I can't see Apple not releasing an Ultraportable Mac laptop now they're using Intel's chips. It'd be insanity not to cease the opportunity. I don't think it's an immediate priority though - I think switching to Intel has been hassle enough for them and will keep them busy for a little while yet.
  6. h0e0h macrumors 6502a

Aug 30, 2004
    West Monroe, Louisiana
    with widescreen becoming the standard, i'm not sure how much an 11.1" MB would differ from my 12" PB, only thinner, but not necessarily lighter.
  7. gog macrumors regular

May 13, 2005
    Jobs' kitchen cupboard.
    I also love my 12"PB, and would be right up for a same-size MBP replacement. They are not going to release one.
    Instead I am forced into the 15"er. I don't want to dumb down to a plastic MB with its specs, but will greatly miss the portability.
    The Vaios are ***** quality.
  8. eddx macrumors regular

May 12, 2005
    Manchester, UK
    MacBook Mini!?!

No...currently. Like a few people said above, Apple has their hands full at the moment with the switch to Intel, and there major future developments in their iPod line. But I feel in the next 2 - 3 years we WILL see a sub-notebook from Apple. Maybe, core solo, touch screen, 10in widescreen, 5 hour battery, no superdrive, wi-fi, bluetooth, solid state hard drive etc. - something alone those lines.

Its true Apple says their notebook line is "complete", but then they said PowerPC was better than Intel for YEARS.

Just look at the current / future hardware line up...

Mac Mini
    MacBook Mini (possibly)
    Mac Pro / Powermac
    MacBook Pro

Personally, I would love Apple to realise a "MacBook Mini" and it would be the perfect solution for somebody with a iMac for the desk and MacBook Mini for the road.

Upping the screen sizes from 12inch to 13.3inch come be a small step to trying to make sure when and if they do put out a sub-notebook, it isn’t too similar to their current MacBook range.

Hey, I guy can dream!? :D
  9. dextertangocci macrumors 68000

Apr 2, 2006
    Yes, its true, I was at a sony reseller about a year and a half ago, just looking at what their latest junk was. A salesman had just opened a BRAND NEW vaio, to put on the floor. He (tried) to open it to set it up and,,,,, the hinges of the screen snapped!:eek:
  10. miniConvert macrumors 68040

Mar 4, 2006
    Kent, UK - the 'Garden of England'.
    You can't make generalisations like that, it's irresponsible if nothing else.

I have a Vaio T2XP (a true ultraportable) and not only is the quality excellent throughout but it's the best laptop I've ever owned - of any size or weight - in a package the size of my hand weighing 1.4kg. It also looks fabulous :)