A Sobering Assessment

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by skunk, Jul 29, 2004.

1. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/3935755.stm
    Looks like the PNAC isn't exactly going according to plan. 25,000 deaths later, and the situation is "back to square one"? The real tragedy, of course, and irony, is that with any degree of political competence, the results COULD have been of benefit to millions. As things stand, however, we have simply increased by one the number of anarchic states where terrorists can recruit without effective hindrance. And with an outcome like this, even the disgusting excuse that "the ends justify the means" is rendered totally invalid, even by the standards of those who use it. Al Qaeda is still around, Osama is still alive, the Taleban are still in control of parts of Afghanistan (with the Dostums and their opium producer friends in control of much of the rest), the Ba'athists are still active in Iraq, both countries' infrastructures are still in tatters, and it doesn't look like it's going to get much better. I know it's too much to hope for an "ethical" foreign policy, but at least I would hope we could manage a "competent" one.

2. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

At it's best, this is another example of how adherence to ideological rhetoric to cover one's ass politically over any realistic attempts at pragmatic policy, both solves none of the original problems effectively and creates new ones...

example: disbanding Iraqi Army and police forces...

Binary thinking and/or presentatation of such is no way to deal with complicated and nuanced realities...

3. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

a story

gw bush was reviewing his life, presented to him as footsteps in the sand. he noticed that, throughout much of his life, there were two pairs of footprints. but in one period, after 9/11, there was only one.

he asked Entropy why that was. "well," Entropy replied, "through most of your life, i was your friend and guide. i helped you through every business venture and your political career."

"but Entropy," bush cried, "in my greatest hour of need, that's when you abondoned me!"

"i did not," Entropy replied, "that's when you sent me to iraq."

4. skunk thread starter macrumors G4

skunk

Where he met a fit-looking woman who wanted lots of children. Can't you hear the pitter-patter of tiny entropic feet? :D