A somber milestone

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Sayhey, Mar 3, 2005.

1. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

BBC

2. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

3. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Number of military funerals attended by George W. Bush: 0

4. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

Excellent point.

5. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Old men talk , young men die. Its been this way for centuries. I wonder how many wars we would have if we let the old farts fight them. I would wager if the leaders had to fight their own battles war would become obsolete.

6. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

But it's nothing compared to Viet Nam!

/sarcasm, sarcasm.

7. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Or put another way, "Rich man's war, poor man's fight."

8. Sayhey thread starter macrumors 68000

Sayhey

It used to be that way, but as I know from family experience it is no longer limited to young men. While my 52 year old cousin is still alive, he and many other not so young men have been part of this backdoor draft and sent to Iraq. Some of them have died as well. This President does care about age or sex as long as he can drag them off to his foreign adventures. One thing that remains though, is that it is still the poorest sections of our nation that sacrifices most in war. Of course, Dubya knows all about the privilege of the rich man's sons to avoid the battle lines.

9. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

As long as we're talking costs and leagies of Iraq here, I read in the USAToday (the Readers Digest of papers) about the incidences of TBI (traumatic brain injury) among the soldiers.

Due to the improvements in armor technology, many outright deaths are prevented from explosions and gunfire, but shrapnel and damage from explosive shock-blasts has caused lasting neurological damage in a high % of troops, who in many case look perfectly normal.

In severe cases, there is pronounced memory-loss and basic skills such as motor-skills and literacy must be painstakingly relearned. A host of other, often permanent problems are also present.

According to the article, TBI affects around 60% of all soldiers involved in an explosion's blast radius, or injured by gunshots to the face, head or neck.

The point of all this is not to place blame for this on the Bush Administration, as this is merely another in a long line of unitended consequences in the evolution of War.

The point is to notice that we will have a group of kids coming home (21 yr-old are the most statistically-affected) with permanent mental disabilities. Their success in reintegrating to society, and our success at honoring their sacrifices, relies on the understanding of these problems and of the availability of social-assistance programs, both through VA and civialian avenues. Considering the cuts to these services by the Bus Administration, it seems they will be in for a hard time. So, barring any changes by the GOP Congress of by Executive fiat, this is something that we should hold ourselves, and especially our current government accountable for.