A soon to be switcher with some MBP questions

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by MSD401, Oct 18, 2006.

1. MSD401 macrumors 6502

MSD401

Well i am about to kick my @#$%^&* toshiba laptop to the curb.. I could go on for days about how it was a disaster but its my fault for buying it...ill just say its on it 9th battery in 8 months...anyway..

I have my sights set on a new MBP, I have been watching these forums for a few weeks now and got many of my questions answered but just looking for a few more specifics...
    1.) I won't get into the great chip debate but my though on the situation is whatever is in it when i buy around thankgiving will be enough for my needs...BUT coming from the windows world and listening to all the system requirments for vista..... if i take the jump now without tiger... will i be missing any hardware needed to support any of the new features... (not meaning operating temp, battery life, etc) from what we know so far....

2.) RAM...I currently have 512 in my pos laptop and it is clearly not enough for my needs on windows... i have read a few threads advocating 1gig.. whats is the idea setup...ordering setup from apple with edu discount ($90 for 1 gig 2x512).. thus the ram would be covered via apple care from my bad luck... or saving a bit and ordering from newegg.com and being sol if something was to happen.

3.) I cant yet get away from my windows mobile pda for lack of better options.... I have done some searching in phone forums and I believe there is an app out there called "missing sync" that allows syncing with mac.... anyone have any experience...

4.)are there any other issues (i know heat and bat life) that i should know about the MBP...

Thanks alot.... I cant wait to switch... I am in my first semseter of a two year master's thesis project and cant trust this comp with my future. :eek:

2. Blackheart macrumors 6502a

Blackheart

1) No.

2) I'd just buy the RAM from Apple. It's easier to deal with if problems arise.

3) No experience.

4) If you buy a MBP, you risk liking your computer and people calling you a Mac Fanatic.

3. wchong macrumors 6502

what is it that ur going to do with the mbp anyways?

gaming? or something else.
    this should determine how much ram u really need. i have an imac 24" and i find that i usually have 1.3 gb left of ram (i have 2 gb) which means that if i run anything intensive with only 1 GB total ram in a system it's going to slow down.

4. extraextra macrumors 68000

extraextra

You really shouldn't be missing any features with Leopard.

1GB of RAM is ok to get from Apple. Don't buy 2GB (around $400, I think) from them because it's ridiculously expensive.

5. MSD401 thread starter macrumors 6502

MSD401

not gaming.... mostly I tend to run multiple applications at the same time (constantly have open itunes, aim, firefox, word and execl)...ill be doing some photo/video stuff also... i would also like the option off running this specific data collection software on my own comp as opposed to my classrooms...I dont believe my needs would be above one gig but 512 seems to be to light..

6. minnesotamacman macrumors regular

I think Apple RAM is a little overrated, but if you can live with the 1GB from Apple, then it is all covered by the warranty. If you can wait, the price wars should heat up again with RAM, and you can do what I did, wait and get 2GB of RAM for $168 Shipped.

www.ramseeker.com

Best place to boil down all the prices.

And I live by the creed that you can never have much RAM!

7. JAT macrumors 603

1GB should be considered minimum for any Apple Intel computer. MBPs have the option of one 1GB chip, take this option from Apple so an upgrade to 2GB is easy if you choose to do it later.

8. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

Plan on 2 GB RAM as soon as you can afford it via either datamem.com or OWC
    (macsales.com) NewEgg.com also offers Crucial RAM at pretty good prices.

A friend turned me onto a site that might help you sinc your pda
    www.pocketmac.com

You might want to read up on networking OSX to Windows while you're researching all of this.
    http://guides.macrumors.com/Networking_Windows_with_Mac_OS_X

9. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

The easiest thing to do is to buy a 1 GB stick of RAM and put it in the extra slot, bringing you to a total of 1.5 GB. This is my current setup, and OS X is very fast and stable. Windows runs fine under boot camp also.

10. prady16 macrumors 6502

prady16

About the RAM:
    Plan your purchase. If you decide that you 'definitely' don't need more than 1GB RAM for another year or so, then upgrade it from Apple itself. But if you think you might want to max it out to 2gigs sometime in the near future, get the bare minimum what apple provides and look out for good deals on a pair for 1GB RAMs on any of the websites mentioned above.
    Good luck!