Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
https://techcrunch.com/2016/09/01/a-spacex-falcon-9-rocket-just-exploded-at-cape-canaveral/
According to numerous eyewitness reports, a SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket just exploded while resting on a launch pad at Cape Canaveral. This rocket was set to launch on Saturday…
The Associated Press is now stating that the rocket exploded during a test.

That not good to see. It will be interesting to learn what went wrong.

Capture.PNG

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004
Wording seems to indicate a glitch with the pad may have caused the explosion vs something wrong with the rocket. What isn't clear is did it explode during the static fire test or before? The statement again indicates it was in preparation for the test and not during. Someone sent the wrong instruction and accidentally activated the Falcon 9's self-destruct mechanism? A spark somewhere on the pad during fueling ignited the RP-1/Oxygen? So many possibilities.

As long as SLC-39A is ready, it shouldn't ground the Falcon 9 assuming it was the pad vs the rocket while SLC-40 is repaired. Granted it may ground rocket launches for a month or so to officially determine if it was the pad, speed up the activation of 39A, etc.

Reactions: SandboxGeneral

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004
So it occurred during fueling and started at the second stage oxygen tank in Musk's latest tweet.

SpaceX boss Elon Musk has tweeted an update on the cause of today's launch pad explosion: "Loss of Falcon vehicle today during propellant fill operation. Originated around upper stage oxygen tank. Cause still unknown. More soon."

Reactions: SandboxGeneral

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004
I hope the setback and investigation doesn't put them behind too long, generally speaking.

Agreed which is why I am hoping it was a pad issue vs vehicle defect. Either way it sucks, but barring a design flaw with the pad and just a malfunctioning part, they can hopefully speed up 39A's activation and have it take over while 40 gets repaired. If it is a design flaw with the pad, it would most likely require reengineering of 39A and their Vandenberg pad.

If it was yet another defect with the Falcon 9's second stage, could be looking at another 6 month delay as was the case of the CRS-6 failure.

Here is a video of the explosion.

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
Here's the question I have..

If this was just a test, why did they load the true, live payload for the test? I'm guessing to simulate weight, and if so, could they not have found something similar to simulate the weight of the actual satellite? After all, this was supposed to be a test. o_O:confused:

BL.

aaronvan

Suspended
Dec 21, 2011
República Cascadia

If this was just a test, why did they load the true, live payload for the test? I'm guessing to simulate weight, and if so, could they not have found something similar to simulate the weight of the actual satellite? After all, this was supposed to be a test. o_O:confused:

BL.

I thought the exact same thing. Did you see that payload shroud hit? Looked like Humpty-Dumpty.

zioxide

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2006

BL.

The test goes through all systems including the ones on the payload I believe.

They'd also have to take the rocket down off the pad to mount it. This test as far as I know is the last big test before a launch, so everything is already set to go.

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
I thought the exact same thing. Did you see that payload shroud hit? Looked like Humpty-Dumpty.

Exactly! And we all know that Mark Zuckerberg isn't happy, as that payload Internet.org (Facebook's) $95 million satellite that was going to bring the internet to the poorer parts of the world. Luckily they have other means, but I sure as hell wouldn't have loaded a $95 million satellite in as a payload for a test.

BL.

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004

BL.

Think it is to reduce processing time. If the test was successful, rocket could stay on the pad ready for launch. Each customer approves it as some tests have had the payload installed and others not. Though others may elect not to in the future as a result in this.

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
The test goes through all systems including the ones on the payload I believe.

They'd also have to take the rocket down off the pad to mount it. This test as far as I know is the last big test before a launch, so everything is already set to go.

Ahh.. Makes sense now. Then this definitely indicates a problem with procedure, not design.

BL.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.