A Step Above iMovie

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by leidendude, Aug 21, 2006.

1. leidendude macrumors newbie

leidendude

Hi gang, I've been using iMovie for some time now, and find that it just can't suit my ever-growing video needs any longer. However, as this is only something I enjoy doing for fun (not even a hobby) there's no way I would be able to get FCP. Is there a middle ground (closer to the iMovie side). Nothing pro, just a little more sophisticated than iMovie? Thanks

2. dswoodley macrumors 6502a

3. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

As has been mentioned, FinalCutExpress retails for $299 and would be a way to gradually wade in to the next level until you can afford the full FCPHD application. That's what I'd look at, anyway.

4. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

Out of interest, what do you get in FCP/FCE that you don't get in iMovie?

5. spicyapple macrumors 68000

spicyapple

6. rjphoto macrumors 6502a

rjphoto

Don't forget about education discounts if you qualify...

7. sigamy macrumors 65816

I think your best bet is Final Cut Express. You get multiple video and audio tracks, FCP plugin support, basic color correction, and Soundtrack and LiveType are now included for free which is an awesome deal. Plus, the workflow and usage are the same for FCE and FCP so if you ever do move up to FCP you will be set.

You could also check out Avid Express.

It may help us if we know what are you trying to do that iMovie can't handle? There are also a lot of plugins for iMovie that add to its value.

8. aricher macrumors 68020

aricher

Can you use the same 3rd party iMovie plug-ins in FCE?

9. sigamy macrumors 65816

I doubt it. iMovie is a different animal. But, you probably wouldn't need too..most of the cool iMovie plugins are to give you capabilities or effects that are already available in FCE.

Most FCP plugins should work in FCE.

10. Josh macrumors 68000

Josh

I kinda wish iMovie was more powerful too, but when I tried Final Cut, I was soooo lost.

I couldn't figure it out for the life of me, and that frustration sent me right back to iMove - especially considering I can typically figure out new software extremely quickly.

11. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

No, but you can render certain effects with plug-ins using iMovie (ex. Slick-Gee Three-painting or multiple splits) and export to FCP. There are some nice effects and transitions with the Slick bundles.

12. dswoodley macrumors 6502a

The learning curve for FCE/FCP is very steep. I wouldn't even try to make feature-to-feature comparisons to iMovie. They are totally different in their interface and usability. Forget everything you know about iMovie when working with FCP/FCE. Someone mentioned Avid, which I fogot about. Worth taking a look at too.

13. zim macrumors 65816

zim

Final Cut Express. If you feel that you have outgrown iMovie then your next step is a real editor, like Final Cut Express. iMovie compositions can also be opened opened in Final Cut Express, allowing you to expand upon your already composed movies.

14. Demoman macrumors regular

Josh - it is often not a matter of whether you are quick to figure out new software. Instead it is a matter of how fast you can learn the profession the software audience is intended to be a tool for.

I have never taken a class in video editing, or anything remotely connected to filmmaking. I started out with Studio 8 and was led to believe this was really easy stuff. But, as I wanted to do more advanced work, I could not escape the reality of what my limitations, and my technology's limitations were. This was actually the epiphany that led me to Apple.

I bought FCP and had the same immediate reaction as you, "This is hard and sucks". However, I found an incredible amount of good, free information to augment the tutorials and the manuals. I still have sooo muuuch to learn. But, I can now do all of the basic stuff and a little more. I am at the point where it is just plain fun to learn it. Now, I am getting decent with Motion and Soundtrack.

If this field, or media appeals to you, I suggest you do not retreat to iMovie. Move forward and have some fun!

15. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

It's been mentioned already in here, but FCP does have a steep learning curve. But there are a boat load of tutorials, helps and sites available. And one learns by doing. So imo, if you stick with it, I think you'll be surprised within 6 months - year just how much more powerful an editing tool it is and will hardly need or want to return to iMovie.

16. spicyapple macrumors 68000

spicyapple

I had an opposite experience from Josh.

I've used Final Cut Pro since 1999 when the program didn't even have audio level meters(!) and none of the fancy stuff like dynamic playback and core audio. So I am very experienced in Final Cut and as an editor, it's very efficient and easy to use.

When I got a PowerBook and it came with iLife, I tried cutting something simple in iMovie, but for the life of me, I couldn't figure that program out. It seemed harder to use. To this day, I still don't know how to use iMovie.

17. dswoodley macrumors 6502a

I had the same problem going from a stick shift to an automatic - they're so complicated!;)

18. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

I've got to agree w/spicyapple. Final Cut has a very flexible UI and, IMO, a pretty shallow learning curve for the basics. A weekend w/the tutorial & manuals and you should be well on your way to understanding the browser, viewer, canvas, and timeline. Obviously the more advanced things like slip/slide editing and adding effects will take longer to get the hang of, but to be able to do basic editing like you can do in iMovie won't take too long at all.

Lethal

19. AviationFan macrumors 6502a

AviationFan

I second that!

leidendude, if you do this because it's fun (and that's what it sounds like from your original post), you'll probably have a great time experimenting with Final Cut. Be prepared to invest some time before you can even just do all the things in FCE that today you can already do with iMovie, but it'll be worth it!

- Martin

20. sigamy macrumors 65816

Can you all list some of the limitations that you've come across in iMovie that cause you to move to FCE or FCP?

I've been doing home movies of my kids for a while now. I typically just splice my footage, add some effects, titles, add some music and sound effects, etc.

I just made my first real short film last fall. I wanted to learn FCE but just couldn't get into it. I edited the entire 30 minute movie with iMovie then sent to FCE in order to fix the audio in Soundtrack and Soundtrack Pro.

So, what are some of the limitations or issues that you all are finding in iMovie? I'm asking honestly so that as I get more into video I can be ready for these.

21. rjphoto macrumors 6502a

rjphoto

One of the main thing I do is multiple images zooming across the screen at the same time in different directions.

In iMovie when you add a transition the rendering starts right away. In FCP you can add all of your transitions/fades/image movements... and render them all at the same time while you get a cup of coffee.

iMovie is for the novis, FCE is for the advanced consumer / beginner student, FCP is for the high end consumer / Professional.

Granted, I have used iMovie for small productions that didn't require a lot of bang.

22. leidendude thread starter macrumors newbie

leidendude

Hey guys, thanks for all the responses, you've been a genuine help. FCE sounds like a real option. I'm think I'll pick that up (along with a FCE for dummies book) pretty soon. Hopefully I'll soon have left iMovie in the dust. Thanks again.

leidendude

23. Kingsly macrumors 68040

Kingsly

I learned FCE with that book. Basically, at first you will be completely lost. Just jump right into editing with FCE and save the book for when you're stumped.

...at least thats what worked for me. :eek:

Also, if you really get FCE you will have a semi-marketable skill, as there is no UI difference with FCP! Without pursuing it at all I am still making money doing contract editing work.