A stuck pixel--should I exchange?

Discussion in 'Games' started by neoelectronaut, Aug 31, 2004.

1. neoelectronaut macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

I bought a GBASP last Friday.(NES Edition) And I love the thing, but I think I see a stuck pixel that always stays blue. It didn't bother me before but now I notice it all the time. Is it possible for a GBA screen to get stuck pixels just like LCD screens for PCs/Macs?

2. idkew macrumors 68020

idkew

where the concrete to dirt ratio is better
    a lcd screen is a lcd screen is a lcd screen.

they all may suffer from stuck and dead pixels.

3. Converted2Truth macrumors 6502a

Converted2Truth

4. neoelectronaut thread starter macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

It's actually from Best Buy, so that's where I'll be bringing it back to.

5. krimson macrumors 65816

krimson

Democratic People's Republic of Kalifornia
    just tell'm that the controls are acting funny and you want an exchange... they shouldn't ask too many questions.

6. neoelectronaut thread starter macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

The thing that really sucks is that they probably don't have the NES-styled ones anymore. Oh well, guess I'll get the platinum, stick an apple sticker on top, and call it my mini-powerbook.

7. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

Have you tried gently rubbing the pixel? It works sometimes, if it's just stuck and not dead. Might save you a trip to best buy anyway. Shame if you can't get a NES one, i wanted to get one myself but they disappeared very quickly here. 'Course, i don't know of any games for it that i'd play, but it just looks so cool...

paul

8. benpatient macrumors 68000

they don't usually exchange if it's just one or two pixels...all current LCDs are considered class B...

9. Daveman Deluxe macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

I'm pretty sure that won't work. The front glass on those Game Boy screens is much MUCH thicker and less flexible than the front glass on your average computer LCD. I'm not saying it's not worth a try, but I'm saying not to expect too much.

10. ZildjianKX macrumors 68000

ZildjianKX

I'd return it... the screen is only 240 x 160... one dead/stuck pixel is too much.

11. benpatient macrumors 68000

you'd TRY and return it, you mean?

240x160 = more than 38,000 pixels. Which isn't a very good ratio by any standard.

Try and return it. Don't be surprised when they say "no way."

12. neoelectronaut thread starter macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

Lol, well, I just back. They exchanged it, no problem.

They didn't have the Retro one anymore, so I went ahead and got the platinum one. Does anyone have a mini Apple sticker I could put on top so that I can call it my Powerboy?

I also went ahead and bought the replaceable 2-year warranty for 2 years. $10...I've spent $10 on stupider things.

Also, I went to wal-mart looking for a headphone adapter. I found a package with headphones "with gameboy sp adapter included". I opened the package and it's headphones with the adapter on the end, built in, instead of a .8mm plug and an adapter. That's not what I wanted. I want an adapter that I can use with any headphones. (Then I was just gonna keep the headphones for other uses) Guess I'll be bring that back tomorrow. It's open, so I doubt they'll give me a refund. But they'll at least give me a store credit.

[​IMG]

13. mattroberts macrumors regular

mattroberts

You mean to tell me that GBA don't just use a regular headphone jacks? Thats just garbage.

14. applekid macrumors 68020

It does. Those headphones are specially designed or something. More of a gimmick if anything.

The NES GBAs seem to still be in production. I'd still try to get one replaced.

15. neoelectronaut thread starter macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

I was hoping they'd be headphones with one of these on the end I could just disconnect.

[​IMG]

But it's built-in, as you can see above. Which is not what I want.

16. neoelectronaut thread starter macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

It gets better.

The GBASP drops to $79.99 tomorrow, down from $99.99.

I asked the woman at Best Buy today that assisted me in exchanging the GBA if they had a price protection plan, and she said yes...

...so I guess I'm going to pick up $20 tomorrow. lol