A stupid question....

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by sif2988, Aug 13, 2006.

1. sif2988 macrumors newbie

Ive been reading the forums and whatnot, and i just got a black macbook a few days ago.

Never used mac in my life before last week.

My question is, when downloading apps and whatnot off the internet, when i try to open them on the desktop, it just says:

"error- quicktime cannot open this type of file" or "quicktime cannot recognize this application" or something to that extent.

i know i cant open the file in quicktime, but what do i do?

much appreciated for the help

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

highlight the item you want to open then press command (apple) I and then set the "open with" to the correct program.

3. rafifreak00 macrumors regular

rafifreak00

Although, if it is a file you want to open in QuickTime, like a video, be sure to update to the latest version of QuickTime, then try opening it.

4. enda1 macrumors member

Try VLC (www.videolan.org) if its a video file. This can open most all video files, except real media i think....

5. sif2988 thread starter macrumors newbie

Whats the correct program to open .bins and .exe files?

thanks

6. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

Windows.

Edit: OK, I think I was too brief ... .exe files are Windows executables. They don't work on OS X except through something like Darwine (unlikely to work) or by installing Windows via Boot Camp or Parallels. As far as I know, bin files are a CD/DVD format ...

7. elbirth macrumors 65816

.bin files aren't strictly Windows. They're a package type file, and StuffIt Expander will open them. I've had several apps come in a .tar.gz file that expands to a .bin file that then expands to reveal the .dmg.

8. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Some .exe files are really self-extracting archives. Sometimes, you can get in by changing the extension to .zip - no guarantees but it can't hurt to try.

9. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

Or drop the .exe on Stuffit Expander and if possible it will extract the files.

I've never had "apps and whatnot" want to open in QuickTime by default. DMG, ZIP, SIT, RAR, TAR, GZ, etc. should be openable by the default BOMArchiveHelper or Stuffit Expander. But if they are video files (avi, mkv, etc) try VLC.

10. sif2988 thread starter macrumors newbie

is the stuffit expander already installed on my macbook or do i have to download it somewhere?

11. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Apple stopped including it, and the download requires your email address these days.
    http://www.stuffit.com/detect_expander.html if you can live with that.

12. elbirth macrumors 65816

13. Frisco macrumors 68020

I am pretty sure he/she is trying to download Windows only files, in which case Bootcamp + Windows is the only answer.