A stupid thought about iPod :p

Discussion in 'iPod' started by Chone, Aug 24, 2006.

1. Chone macrumors 65816

Chone

I've always wondered that since there are mainstream oriented iPods, there should also be a "pro" line something like PowerPods :p or Pod Pro lol, (you know like iBook => PowerBook, MacBook => MacBook Pro) something a little more audiophile oriented, I know I would love something like that instantly.

Any thoughts on the matter?

2. ZoomZoomZoom macrumors 6502a

ZoomZoomZoom

Well, something would have to make this super ipod "pro". Seeing as current ipods have most major features that everyone wants, this is pretty difficult. I mean, there are small things, but nothing would really be defining.

And besides, if anything would be defining - aka something great for the ipod hardware - Apple would probably integrate it across their entire hardware line, to up the ante on portable mp3 features against competitors.

3. bloodycape macrumors 65816

The only thing apple is missing in my opinion is decent battery life out of the video(I think it need to have at least 5 hours to be acceptable) which also could mean an increase in audio life to lets say 26 hours. And the other thing it is missing is a good codec support. Maybe if they add divx along with what it currently supports then they are on to something. Make the item a little bigger maybe a 3.5in screen(4.3 wide will make many apple fans complain I would think) and call it a pro line.

4. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

what are your thoughts? what do you think would make it an iPod qualify to be a Pro product?

i think they are fine now. let's not forget the iPod is a consumer product, not a Pro product.

5. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

I read an article a while back about how to turn your iPod into an audiophile machine. It involved spending about $800 or so on headphones and a preamp for the headphones. The iPod itself, I think, is pretty sound. You can get accessories to customize it to any level of "pro" you want.

6. kwajo.com macrumors 6502a

kwajo.com

exactly, plus you can use Apple Lossless Codec or uncompressed AIFF files to get better audio source as well

7. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

8. ipodcentral112 macrumors regular

I agree!

9. ipodcentral112 macrumors regular

Hey, that would be cool!

10. Chone thread starter macrumors 65816

Chone

What I meant was well, an iPod that is a little more flexible even if its too hard to use (thats why I call it an audiophile-oriented ipod) with customizable equalizer settings, customizable playback options (no gaps between songs for example/crossfading), better sound quality (and iron out the bugs) and add more codec support, for example FLAC, OGG, stuff like that and include some decent earbuds or none at all (after all an audiophile should have their own headphones). Also a "PowerPod" could also have some real video support while at it though that may be a feature better left out for the iPod.

Simply what I suggest is an audiophile-oriented iPod that has all the features an audiophile would want and that includes more flexible playback and sound adjustment options as well as better codec support and better sound hardware.

I love iPod as it is but an audiophile-oriented "pro" iPod could very well eliminate all the complains people have towards iPods, I know I would like one very much, Apple Lossless is not the best lossless codec in my opinion and Apple should give you the choice.

Ever seen Rockbox? I want software thats a little more like that.

11. bloodycape macrumors 65816

That would not be an ipod that would be a Rio Karma(one of the only players to ever support gapless playback) with a color screen and video support but that is a pipe dream since Rio is gone. Face it the ipod is good if you are content with the bare minmum in terms of codec support and certain options.
    If you look at what I suggest that might be more along the lines of what apple might/should do. You would need to go to a company like Cowon or Archos to get full on ogg and vorbis support along with mp3. divx and xvid support(in their video players). My A2 is near perfect only drawback is no gapless support, is a little big as it is a 4in wide screen video player(which is a given) and it has DMB support which at the moment is pointless in North America since we have no service like they do in Asia and now in Europe. I suggest you go to www.dapreview.com to look at products that fit your need.

12. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

Audiophiles don't usually go in big for EQ's and whatnot, especially EQ's handled by a low-powered general purpose processor. I find many SHARC implementations somewhat deficient so it's unlikely that something you can shoehorn into a battey-powered iPod gives decent results that would please an audiophile.

The Rio Karma's EQ just had more controls - what it did to the sound was just as generally mediocre as the iPod's EQ (only it had protection against clipping in the lows like the bass booster in the iPod does).

The iPod's unEQ'd sound is generally good enough for portable use for anyone. It's actually the 'Rice Boy' contingent with their bass bins (either actually or spiritual kins) that clamour for the SRS / BBE / Mega Bass EQ stuff that you find on the iRivers, iAudios, etc.

13. bloodycape macrumors 65816

I dunno about you but most of my ipod buddies found the BBE and bass booster a bonus feature. But I get your point. I have never heard or used a rio karma but the I hear the sound was much better than an iPod. I have used a Rio Carbon and the sound imho sounded the same equal to the ipod.

14. bloodycape macrumors 65816