a subtle hint to uncooperative housemates

Discussion in 'Community' started by billyboy, Jan 25, 2004.

1. macrumors 65816

billyboy

Hope it isnt too profane, or profound

GAS, ELECTRIC AND TV LICENCE

I am severely peed off with how disorganised it has become putting money in the meters.

In order to get around this communication breakdown and cut out a lot of ****, please budget properly for gas, electric and TV. It is a paltry £20 a month. This £20 is second on your list of priorities after the rent, and before you buy any food, CDs, chocolate, top ups on mobile phones, new iPods, furry seats for your Ford Capri.

There is nobody living in this house in a position to carry anyone else financially. Just because Brian has a bank account doesn't mean there is anything it.

So, this is the routine - unless of course anyone has a better idea, or specifically wants to see the dark side of Brian.

A) On Feb 1st, put £10 in the gas meter. That is Feb 1st, not 2nd or 5th. and the figure is 10, not 5 or 6.34 and a bus token.

B) When you see the gas meter at around £5, that is £5, not 60p or LESS THAN ZERO, or 9.50, go to the Spar and put another £10 on the card. It doesn't take a group committee to go to the Spar to pay for your share of the gas. Just do the right thing for our little community and buy £10 of gas.

C) If you are the first person to contribute, put a tick in the box by your name on the form below. This makes sure everyone knows you have paid first, which will either please or displease them, depending on whether or not they just bought some fast food with the money out their "gas" jar. It should definitely make you feel good, knowing you actually contributed to the smooth-running of the house without having to turn on a vacuum cleaner.

More to the point, it also means that it is obvious who hasnt paid. We all walk past the notice board ten times a day, and we can all read, so there is no need to have to speak to anyone - which is good. Looking daggers at someone not contributing, conveniently avoids the need for lots of bull**** conversation, like,

"Time to pay for more gas and electric, mate."
    "No, I paid something last week."
    "Well we run out, it's what gas and electric does when you take showers, wash your furry car seats and dry your scrogs on the radiator."
    "OK, I-ll get some cash tomorrow or next Thursday week."

If you have not contributed an equal share at the same time as everyone else, watch out! Being responsible with what little money we have, the majority of the lodgers here have a budget specifically for paying for gas. If you want to play by your own rules, then go sleep in the frigging garden shed until you have the money to share the gas, electric and TV services that other people are paying for.

This isnt a one way rule. You have every right to send anyone else who hasn't paid down to the garden shed too. But if you are not paying your way on a regular basis, ie twice, you will be taken down the garden shed and beaten severely by your housemates - and you know that isnt an idle threat! - don't you Steve!

2. macrumors G3

err, why not go onto a proper bill cycle and split the bill equally each time??

3. macrumors 65816

kettle

Don't pay the TV licence.
    Don't let the b2 s t @rd s set one foot inside your door without a warrant and a policeman to present it.

Bring down the BBC.

4. macrumors G3

and get your arse fined for X times the amount... :p

5. macrumors 65816

kettle

If you are stupid enough to let them in, fine, go to straight to jail, don't pass go and don't collect £200.

The BBC will get as much sticking to themselves as Tony (I'm your mate) Blair.

I hope the liar gets it and I hope History remembers him for it.

6. macrumors member

About as likely as my ex-housemates paying back their share of the household bills I ended up having to pay off myself 10 years ago...:(

7. thread starter macrumors 65816

billyboy

That would be even worse, a bigger bill and even bigger hassle prising the money out of some really mothballed wallets.

It is interesting about the TV license. There are 2 non Brits here and they were both totally against paying. Saw it as some sort of right to have free TV. Fair enough if you don't see the value in advert-free tele on half the channels. Funny thing is, now, a few months on, they get really peed off watching films on Channel 5, because of all the adverts!

If you ever watch Spanish TV, the ads are literally every 15 minutes and they last 15 minutes per set of ads. It has got so bad that the in thing to do is watch two films at once and flick between the two. It is breeding a generation of complete TV screw heads.

8. macrumors G3

9. macrumors 65816

Dippo

Weird, a TV license. I guess I would feel them same way. The commercials pay for the TV over here. Even the cable or satelite has commericals, and you have to pay for that.

What is this TV license, exactly??

10. macrumors 65816

Dippo

More on subject..

In my experience, if you live with people that have problems paying the bills, GET OUT ASAP!!!

These people never change. I had one roommate that never had the money to pay the rent on time, and one month he just moved out (without paying that months rent which was already late). I had to pay that entire's month rent plus I lost my deposit and I had to pay an early lease termination fee!

Beware, if you let it slide, people will walk all over you.

11. macrumors 65816

Please pay the BBC. We enjoy it a great deal over here. ;)

12. macrumors G3

if you own a TV here, you have to have a license to own one. The fee goes only to the BBC not ITV, Channel 4 or Channel 5, they are commercial channels that are funded by advertisers.

If you have a TV and decide not to tune in BBC you still need a license, if you have a TV purly for playing your PS2 you need to have a license.

If you want more channels, you can have Sky (NTL etc etc) and that costs extra on top of the license...

What makes it worse is that BBC actually do have adverts, some of them very long... but they're advetising their own programming, products etc... the good thing about the BBC however is that films, and TV shows are not broken by adverts....

So to own a TV, it'll cost you £125 ($225) bargin.. :rolleyes: <edit> and that's a year! :eek:

13. macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Really the US has the same thing, but it's hidden in income taxes so you pay for it even if you don't have a TV. It shows up in the form of advertisements for military recruitment, PBS and NPR funding, and so on.

14. macrumors G3

I didn't know that.... I dread to think what are lurking in our income taxes....

That said, the private motorist here funds Education, the NHS etc etc.... :eek: :rolleyes:

15. Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

aint that the truth :rolleyes: [​IMG]

16. macrumors 65816

Dippo

Yea, I would rather just let the government take out the 20-30% out of my check than having to pay all these little fees.

Well, I guess we do have to pay taxes on all the stuff we buy, but that is a state thing and not federal, well except for gas and a few other things, oh well.

17. macrumors 65816

Dippo

Wow, is that on a per TV basis?
    If so, I guess yall don't have a lot of TVs in your house?
    I got a TV for every room. Like 7 TVs for only 5 people.

18. macrumors G3

no, that's per house...

19. macrumors 6502a

ebow

I spent a semester at the University of Sussex so I'm familiar with the TV license nuisance (£125/year for 2 channels, bah--and I remember only one of the BBCs haviong programming I liked). We had a small TV in the dining area and couldn't get Channel 5. We didn't pay for the license for a while but then some flatmates claimed they were getting nervous and we ought to pay up, so I coughed up my small share of it. I'm not sure if they actually paid it or just knew that they could convince me to hand them some cash. Oh welll.

What strikes me as odd is the pay-as-you-go gas meter. Is there a little card reader in your place that accepts pre-pay cards (like phone cards) and cuts off the gas if the charge runs down? I guess that cuts down on the need to have a meter reader come and check every month (or every few months) but it just seems... well, foreign to me. I've either had to set up an account with the gas company, or the landlord pays the bills and it's built into the rent.

And I sure as hell know about mooching worthless unreliable lazy-ass roommates. My friend-roommate found a subletter one summer who ended up being quite lousy at having any sense of what it costs to live in an apartment or how to establish a sustainable cash-flow to pay for it. Amazingly I recovered all but $120 or so. The lesson I learned was: if it's summer and you're working, and you're in a nice town (Ann Arbor) and don't plan to be home much, just cancel the cable and live without TV for a few months. It's just that much less to collect from a deadbeat roommate, and that much less reason for him to bring his friends over. Fortunately, I won't have to worry about that any more, now that I have a roommate-for-life (fiance). :D

So lay down the law with your flatmates, and if nothing changes, either kick them out or get out (if you can). I feel your pain.

20. macrumors 65816

Dippo

What are they going to do throw you in jail for not paying to watch TV?

Are they not going to let you leave the country for not paying your TV bill?

Do rich people pay it or do they find some loophole to get around it?

21. macrumors 65816

Dippo

I found a website that explains this stuff:

http://www.tv-l.co.uk

Read this

Can we say invasion of privacy???

I think if they just gave the money, that they used to enforce this law, to the BBC or whoever I think they would be better off.

22. macrumors 6502a

ebow

Hahahahah... You said "privacy." From this Yank's meager understanding of the way things have been going in the UK, this is just one less-severe example of privacy, er, trade-offs. I know several cities are surveillance camera -happy, police are looking forward to devices that will let them track and control cars remotely, and so on... I'm not complaining per se, just noting that this seems to be the way things are, over there.

23. macrumors 6502a

ebow

I dunno--probably nothing in the end, but as you've read, they make it out to be quite a horrific crime. I think I only coughed up £5 or 6. Damn, I could have bought three or four more pints with that money! (serious lament, not sarcastic)

24. macrumors 68020

125 pounds per year is serious money. I think I'd give up TV if it cost me that much. After all, with Internet, who needs TV?

25. macrumors regular

From the TV Licensing website's page regarding their TV Detection Vans
    Does anyone know whether there is a Local Oscillator within all of the many flavours of TV cards, i.e. USB, PCI, AGP etc?

If not, which there most likely is; this could be a way to reduce one of those bills!

And if you use a PC with nice hot processors then this could also double as some heating to reduce your leccy n gas bills aswell:D