A Sun-Apple Alliance/Merger?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by macktheknife, Jan 22, 2003.

1. macktheknife macrumors 6502a

Jan 24, 2002
    Here's an weblog from the O'Reilly Network that speculates why a Sun-Apple alliance or merger makes sense:

Anyhow, the author argues how both companies are facing a common foe (you know who), and how each company can complement each other's strengths. The author's arguement, for the most part, makes sense, but it is pure speculation. Missing from his discussion is how such a merger would actually work, how it would be consumated, and how much financial value (if any) would be created.

Personally, I think the technology industry is facing an unstoppable wave of consolidation due to lackluster demand stemming from a weak economy. More fundamentally, companies are no longer in the mood to pay top dollar for techology and have embraced free software as The Next Big Thing. Also, the emergence of free software like Linux has basically decimated Sun's business. Apple and Sun would be foolish not to at least work together to ensure that the computing world will not be dominated by Microsoft and its allies Intel and Dell.
  2. CrackedButter macrumors 68040

Jan 15, 2003
    51st State of America
    While it would be nice, why don't we have EMC join in as well and create some sort of company comprised of all three?

All three are very good and unqiue in what they do but merging all 3 doesn't seem in reality a good thing.

What would Sun do? The server side, take over apple's servers?
    Would Apple then design Sun's Servers as well in wonderful ways in which to please the network admins? Would we be able to dual boot with MacOSX with linux or buy machines with either?
    How would .mac fit into the liberty alliance or how does it all work anyway

It would also allow MS and Intel to take aim at 1 target as opposed to 2 seperate targets.

The partnership would be better, let them scratch their heads at the same set of blueprints.
  3. cubist macrumors 68020

Jul 4, 2002
    Muncie, Indiana
    The Corporation Hain't Been Built what can contain both Steve Jobs' and Scott McNealy's egos.
  4. Bear macrumors G3

Jul 23, 2002
    Sol III - Terra
    This is the only reason I've heard that has a basis for why such a merger would not work.

Neither one would be willing to give up that much control of their company.

And as to an earlier comment in this thread, the machines would dual boot Solaris and Mac OS X of course.

Or maybe a better way would be to get the Aqua interface ported to Solaris, so there would be a consistant interface no matter which OS people chose.
  5. iShater macrumors 604

Aug 13, 2002
    I remember that someone talked about that back in the mid-90s when Apple was having financial problems. It was suggested as a buyout of Apple by Sun. The cultures of the companies and the focus in the market are different, no way they will work. Not with the two CEOs we have right now :D
  6. benixau macrumors 65816

Oct 9, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    looks like we will ahve to wait for Scott McNealy to retire.
  7. springscansing macrumors 6502a

Oct 13, 2002
    New York
    We don't need those bums at Sun anyway.

What with their greenhouse gasses and cattle rustling...
  8. Cappy macrumors 6502

May 29, 2002
    I don't see anyone mentioning it but Linux is getting really close to becoming a real desktop operating system for users. Give it two more years and I think it'll be there. Once this happens I could see Linux being a larger threat to Macs than PC's. The one way to help control this situation is Apple working with Sun and getting more control over the Sun Office/Open Office software. That is a key tool for the time being of Linux damaging the Mac market and any growth.

Frankly it never made sense to me why Sun picked up Sun Office. It doesn't fit with them but it would be a great fit for Apple to take it.
  9. benixau macrumors 65816

Oct 9, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    ahhh, actually now that MacOS is nix based ....

most people dont mind using OSX if they have used nix before because in times of frustration they (we) can go into the terinal an be right at home.

Cmd-S at boot gets us into single user mode (at a cmd prompt from memory) and even better, >console and root password at login. that way we get the terminal, but when we exit it our llogin screen happily awaits us.

i think that the linux people are positioning themselves to hit windows more that the mac. most of the mac distros have been around for sometime and are reasonable good with KDE3/G2. also 98% of linux software is only in i386/i586 code anyways. oh well .....
  10. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Jun 25, 2002
    Gone but not forgotten.
    It would be far more adventageous for Apple to merge with SGI since SGI has a good percentage of the 3D market and could use a huge increase in volume to lower their costs. Mac OS X and Irix could learn from one another and become better without sacrificing either's strengths.
  11. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Los Angeles
    They said something similar about the AOL-Time Warner merger. Hmmm, maybe they know what they are talking about.

I could go for an Apple-Sun deal. I do extensive work with both Mac OS and Solaris, and with both Apple and Sun hardware, so I'd feel right at home with any combination of their products.
  12. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

Feb 24, 2001
    This rumor is even older then MacOS on x86. The first time it popped up was in the mid-90s during the Spindler era. Then it gained momentum in the Amelio era. Then when Jobs came back people thought it was a secret plan. This rumor is one that, like Marklar, always has some indications that it's true but in all likelihood never will.