A supply crisis?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by w00tmaster, Jul 10, 2004.

1. w00tmaster macrumors regular

After reading some of the threads here about disgruntled powermac and XServe G5 purchasers(myself included), the screwup that led to the temporary halt of the iMac line(which IMO, was probably due to a lack of G5 chips), and the appleinsider article stating that Apple has almost no eMacs on hand, I have to ask, what is happening with Apple's supply line? Is Steve screaming at people over this? It seems their desktop supply is at virtually nil. Even a stock config dual 1.8 power mac G5 lists a shipping date of 3-5 business days, but when I ordered my BTO power mac on the 30th, stock ones were said to be shipping same day.
    Anyone have any info/insight on what is happening at Apple? Seems the only thing they actually have to sell is their laptops, maybe that is why they are calling people at home...

2. Sabbath macrumors 6502a

Sabbath

It seems like almost nothing is available, especially desktops, and that must be losing them some sales, the next conference call will definitely be an interesting one.

3. whfsdude macrumors 6502a

It could just be more people are buying more Macs. However Apple needs to realize that “normal” will not wait to buy a computer.

4. stevehaslip macrumors 6502a

stevehaslip

exactly, there are far fewer apple retailers out there than windows pcs. if apple aren't careful then they'll lose out on potential revenue because all those ipod users will be saying to themselves: "oh yeah lets go to the apple shop and look at ipods" then while they're there they'll see all the cool computers they could have instead of their beige windows box, only to be told "sorry, out of stock"

come on apple pull your socks up!

5. Xenious macrumors 6502a

It could be a "siesta" period in the manufacturing plants. They typically take an annual break for maintenance or such on the assembly line.
    -jim

6. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

It's a conspiracy. A few people have suggested the Apple will no longer make computer with the iPod's success.

7. shadowband macrumors member

I think it's a classic case of pushing "just-in-time" manufacturing too far. It works out great if you time it right, but if you "just-too-late" you're in big trouble.

8. raynegus macrumors regular

9. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

What I don't understand is how a PowerMac or G5 XServe can be disgruntled, or why you would purchase one even if it was. Is it something like refurbished?

:D ;) ;)

10. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

Maybe Apple is doing the best they can to clear out stock because the iMac, eMac, PowerMac, Xserve and PowerBook will all be shipping with G5s in them by January 05

11. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

eMac wont be going G5 anytimes soon, its the education computer, the cheap one, thats why it will keep the G4 for a while yet

12. w00tmaster thread starter macrumors regular

Well, I called Apple today, and the guy gave me some schlock about how there are a large number of BTO orders and they cannot fill them fast enough....I actually think they just don't have the supply of G5s that they need...To all you looking forward to a g5 powerbook, I wouldn't count on it anytime soon. :mad: