A switcher ponders....

Discussion in 'iMac' started by smythey, Mar 8, 2007.

1. smythey macrumors regular

Having finally talked my folks into replacing their ageing PC with a mac Mini (but waiting until the release of Leopard of course....!), there was one question I couldnt answer.
    They have a Linksys wirless home gateway which the PC has a wired ethernet connection to, and me and my dad and I use our PC laptops wifi style with it. Will it be a big deal (or even possible) to just replace the PC with the Mac and have it all working as before?

Somehow, I doubt it, but heres hoping!!

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

It will work just fine. Networks are indifferent to the OS. Setting up sharing might be a little more difficult, but that should work just fine as well.

3. cwedl macrumors 65816

cwedl

Macs use TCP/IP just as PC's and the base station, their will be no problems! I have a wireless network and have plenty of macs and pcs connected with no problems.

4. mattscott306 macrumors 68040

mattscott306

It'll work, though honestly, I'd try to replace the lynksys as soon as I could. I hated mine for the years I had it, shawdy connection and what not.

5. shu82 macrumors 6502a

shu82

I am running a linksys wifi router with my macs right now. I have a clamshell plugged in directly and my mini and my pb connect wirelessly. I have great neighbors so I just plugged it up and left it open for everybody to use. No special setup, just plug and play.

6. Neil4512 macrumors newbie

I am also running a linksys router with mac/window/linux machines all connecting to it.

7. smythey thread starter macrumors regular

Great, smashing, super!!

This sounds promising indeed - hopefully this network-monkey can get it going okay!

Hey, it only took me 6 HOURS to configure my new Airport Express earlier this week..... Got it going now though - streaming Wolfmother through Itunes and life is good, oh so good!!

Thanks for replying - this forum is pretty badass!

8. shu82 macrumors 6502a

shu82

Come back anytime. I love this place!!!! Comicbook Guy says "best mac-related forums..... ever"