A switcher's tale: not all plain sailing

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by J Radical, Nov 20, 2006.

1. J Radical macrumors regular

J Radical

Nov 20, 2006
    Hello, I'm a long time lurker but since I've encountered problems I thought I may as well register and abused the vast knowledge base you guys have here ;)

(this turned out out to be longer than I intended, apologies)

I started university in September and decided to take the plunge, and make the switch from PC to Mac. I ordered a Macbook 2ghz, 1gb RAM, 100gb HD and Superdrive; the student discount and the ipod offer was too good to turn down. Unfortunately my experience hasn't been without serious problems.

My first macbook had a defective screen (it blinked constantly) and wouldn't shut down correctly. Replacing it was necessary, but the wait was painful since it had taken 3 weeks to be delivered in the first place. But I waited patiently and about a week later my 2nd apple notebook arrived. I'm typing on it right now, but it too is giving me grief.

I thought the palm rest issue had been resolved back during the summer, and according to apple it has- but not for me. I have clean hands but in the 2 weeks I've been using this computer the palm rests, track pad and button have been turning grey (uncleanable grey). A frustrating and unacceptable development considering Apple's strict aesthetic standards.

In addition my super drive has begun to give me trouble, the thing has noise issues, running either exceptionally loud (whirring and clicking louder than my speakers) or exceptionally slow (importing songs into itunes at a measly x4)

I've phoned apple care about the palm rests, but the superdrive is a new problem. They've said it's the first time they've heard of a discolouration issue in months and have advised me to go see my local service provider, who will try to clean the stain, or replace the top of the machine. I'll need to phone them back about the drive, but presumably their advice will be the same.

The other reason why this is frustrating is the release of the new CD2 macbooks, and the associated upgrades that I had to pay for. It seems now that by the time I get a fully functional computer I could have bought a better one at a lower price. I even got the impression over the phone with Apple that they thought I might be spoofing them about my problems in order to get a nice new MB.

I should stress that it hasn't been ALL bad- I do love this computer and OS X- it's a quantum leap from using windows XP in terms of it's stability and usability. So I don't think I'll be switching back any time soon. None the less I'm still upset at my bad luck. I'll let you know how it goes. Any advice you could give me would be much appreciated.

(PS- I got jipped on the ipod deal too! I got a discounted ipod nano 1st gen, weeks after the 2nd gen was released. To ebay it goes...)
  2. PYR0M310N macrumors 6502a

Aug 29, 2006
    i hate to say this, as it will probably just make you feel worse. but i am afraid that you were just unlucky, one problem like that is unusual, b ut more than that is mostly unheard of!