A Switching Friend, macbook suffice?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Ashapalan, Nov 11, 2006.

1. Ashapalan macrumors 6502a

Hi,

I have a friend who is planning on switching to a Mac. He is unsure however, on which model to go for. He defiantly wants a laptop, so that narrows it down. He likes the macbook, but plans to be using dreamweaver.

I don't really know much about such programs, but just thought i'd ask if the macbook could handle it. Is it universal yet? Is a new version on the cards and if yes, what are its requirements likely to be? Another question is will the macbook will perform okay at photoshop?

I suppose what i'm really asking, is will the graphics of the macbook restrict him from using such programs. It seems kind of pointless for him to splash out the extra cash just because of the graphics, when every other hardware spec of the macbook is fine for his needs

What do you guys think, macbook or macbook pro?

2. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

Heh, I've been running Dreamweaver on my old eMac G4 700 MHz with no problems. Its not the kind of app that requires latest and greatest hardware. But I dont think its universal yet.

If he'll be using DW, I assume Photoshop will be for web-graphics? MacBook's Core 2 Duo processor is all that matters in Photoshop and the majority of other graphics apps with the exclusion of Motion. So, MB's Intel graphics is fine for that stuff.

No need to get a MBP, unless you want to play games and just like the aluminium enclosure better (I do :D))

3. Ashapalan thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks eXan. He isn't the gaming type as far as i know. So yeh, it really is looking as though a macbook would fulfill his needs fine. He currently uses an ancient pc. 300mhz processor, 64mb ram, 3GB. So i'm fairly certain that when he first uses the macbook it will be too much for him to take, and he'll drop dead. At which point i shall take care of his wares....

4. jessep28 macrumors 6502

jessep28

Try to talk him into a RAM upgrade though to 2GB. The MB pricing is now fairly reasonable versus what it was before.

When I bought my Dell 4 years ago, 256MB was a fine amount of memory. Now you shouldn't be caught dead with any less than 512. Memory requirements doubled in a short amount of time. Just a friendly bit of advice.

5. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

The ideal C2D Macbook configuration would be the 2.0 Ghz model with 2GB RAM
    and the 160 GB perpendicular drive.

Actually for the usage indicated, he could buy a refurbished 32 bit Macbook Core Duo ( Yonah processor ) and be fine as long as he added the extra RAM.

6. Ashapalan thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks, both good ideas, i'll put them too him.