A tale of joyous redemption...

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Applespider, Dec 27, 2005.

1. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Last Christmas I spent the better part of two days fixing my aunt's PC and removing spyware from it. The light began to dawn and my cousin got an iBook for school.

In the summer, I spent an afternoon doing the same again and trying to get her PC to talk to the wireless network.

Today, we went to visit her and she mentioned that she needed help with her computer. I sighed (as the family 'geek') and trudged upstairs to her study, gnashing my teeth, mentally sobbing and preparing for intense frustration and hairpulling only to find a shiny new iMac. Spent a joyous hour unwrapping it, setting it up, installing/updating stuff and playing with Front Row and Photobooth. :D

2. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Sounds like you finally got your redemption.

I stopped helping people with their PC problems years ago when I switched to Macs. I just use the excuse "I don't know anything about PCs, I use a Mac". Seems to work quite well.

Here's to the Crazy Ones [​IMG]

3. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Good on ya, for fighting the good fight.

How many aunties and cousins left to go?

4. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

Ugh...I wish I could use this excuse. Too many people know that I'm good with Windows at this point for me to say something like that. Plus...helping people with their Windows problems = good side money for me.

I still help people with their Windows problems, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't take every opportunity to rub it in when I've told them "don't use Windows" and they didn't listen. That's my redemption :)

5. runninmac macrumors 65816

runninmac

Mmmm the opening up of a new Mac nothing gets better! Glad to hear you most likley wont have to help out your aunt out anymore

6. Applespider thread starter macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Of those that ask me for computer advice, just one! The rest are all now safely switched :p

I'll still get calls from my aunt; she's not very technically minded. But at least now I'll be able to answer them since they're more likely to be 'how do I do get rid of red-eye in my photos' rather than 'my PC is throwing up pictures of nude women having sex with dogs' type questions...

The only bad thing about the day was having to leave the iMac behind when I went back to Mum's especially since I have to encode a video tomorrow on my Powerbook which would have gone much faster on the G5!

7. XIII macrumors 68040

XIII

Very nice. But surely its a little depressing when your Aunt has a faster computer than you. ;)