a test for os9.2 ethernet

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by jvaska, Dec 13, 2003.

1. jvaska macrumors 6502

i have a suspicion that the ethernet on my os9.2 machine is not working...is there any way that i can test it without having to actually connect to anything via ethernet?

i'd rather test before i just reinstall it...

this sucks...v

2. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

two questions... first, why do you think it's not working? and secondly, even if it isn't, why do you need it to, if you don't have anything to connect it to?

i really don't think you're going to learn much without plugging something in...

pnw

3. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

Yeah, you're going to need to plug your computer into something else. You can plug it into another computer if you have one, or a friends. You don't necessarily need to plug into the internet.

4. jvaska thread starter macrumors 6502

i'm trying to network with a new mac osx panther...i can't get networking between the two to work...

all the file sharing is on...permissions on...user & group (on os9) on...etc, etc...

so, the answer is no...there isn't a way i can test it without hooking it up to another machine...

5. GraphicUmp macrumors member

Are you connecting the two machines via cable or via a router?

If it's via a cable, you probably need a crossover cable (not for the new Mac, but for the old Mac).

6. jvaska thread starter macrumors 6502

hey thanks...i got it all resolved...just in case any future surfers surf here...

i actually was able to use both a crossover and a regular ethernet cable...in mac support files you can get the details...

my ethernet was working aok, but what i didn't know...as i wasn't even trying to use my hub yet is that you can't use both ethernet and a cable modem at the same time...unless you are using a hub/router...

once i read this, things fell into place...

good luck future surferers...v