A Thesis Paper

Discussion in 'Community' started by *Y*, Mar 1, 2005.

1. *Y* macrumors regular

Hey Guys,
    For my class we have to do a thesis paper. However I have no idea what I should do for my thesis. Any suggestions?

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

3. Blackheart macrumors 6502a

Blackheart

4. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

I think you should write it on the annoyance caused by ambiguous questions.

5. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
  6. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

That was a very specific post with a very specific question...

like:

I'm going for holidays, what should I take with me? :rolleyes: :eek:

hello there? details? Forget that, take the breasts suggestion and enjoy... :)

7. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

hehehe i second that :D

seriously, dude... details? an engineering thesis is going to ever so slightly different than an english thesis...

8. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    Though of course the jubology could go for either.
    Its engineering in providing proper support structures.
    For an english thesis he could describe the use of the bosom in literature.

9. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

i stand corrected, mondo makes excellent points...

funny, i was discussing with friends how best to get in to the bra industry the other day with my engineering degree... completely joking, but funny that it comes up twice in two days...

10. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

how about "the improbabilities of Alice's fall down the rabbit hole."

:D

11. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Well, judging how quickly we've pushed *this* thread down the hole, Alice's story doesn't seem so outrageous anymore. :D

12. poopyhead macrumors 6502a

poopyhead

dont know if it helps
    but im currently writing my senior seminar paper on
    Lenin's definition of Imperialism and the new finance imperialism of the IMF and World bank

13. tombo macrumors member

Yeah, I've written some work on detecting substructure in clusters of galaxies using data from the XMM-Newton xray satellite

I could give you some pointers?

14. pbarra macrumors newbie

Big Ones

While a student at Rutgers in NJ I had an expository writing course where I was the only male in a class of females and a female professor. I wrote my main paper on the American fascination with big boobs and related it to Manifest Destiny. Got an A and high praise for treating "a potentially sophmoric topic in a scholarly manner." Go figure.

15. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    the original poster hasnt replied...maybe we should wasteland this cuz obviously the only people getting anything from it; albeit entertainment wise is us

16. *Y* thread starter macrumors regular

Sorry I haven't replied right away. The paper is for English. I welcome any sugestions. I thought about writing how the 20th century had a lot more invention and inovations than the reset of our history. Suggestions, comments?

17. tpjunkie macrumors 65816

tpjunkie

senior year of high school for AP english i did my thesis on the comparison of totalitarian control of society between 1984 and Brave New World

18. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

Maybe a list of recent, academic books you have read would be handy.

19. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

Hasn't there been a lot already said about this topic? What greater analysis can you add? I don't think the thesis is particularly novel...You might try to be a little bit more creative with it. Another problem is that it is far too broad...Specificity could not only give you a more manageable topic, but also a more interesting one. Here's one idea: An examination of whether a more rational, systematic approach to the design of pharmaceuticals or the ability to synthesize and test an astronomical number of compounds rapidly has been the key to the larger number of safer, more effective drugs developed and marketed in recent decades.

One thing that might be helpful to us in trying to provide you with advice is more information about your class. You say it's an English class...Is it a high school class or a college class? Because you gave us a generic name, I'm thinking you are in high school. Am I right?

20. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Define "innovation"
    Define "our"

Define "reset"???

Now here's a possibility, collectively, how much creative work is accomplished (or conversely wasted) whilst waiting for computers to reset after freeze/bomb/crash/BSOD?

Or, discuss the propensity of the dominant culture/industrial/political groups to reset our history...

21. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

You could examine the salience of religion as a political tool in 20th Century America. How has religion been used to mobilize the masses? What is it about religion that makes it such an enabler? Is it the bond that co-religionists feel with each other or is it a shared conceptual and ideological framework through which believers interpret somewhat non-religious issues, like civil rights, prohibition, and even tax reform? What is the role of religion now and in years to come? Is it appropriate for religion to play a role in US politics?

That's a broad topic, but maybe you can branch something off of it.
    --
    You could also examine the phenomenon that mathematicians make their greatest contributions when they are relatively young...Why is that?
    --
    The evolution of conservatism in the United States in the last 100 years.
    --
    The ethical implications of physician conscience laws.
    --
    Why is it that the only Democratic presidents in the last 35 years have been Southern Baptist governors of conservative states? The dominance of the conservative movement in American politics.
    --
    The influence of US foreign policy on the development of Islamic extremism.
    --
    The efficiency (or inefficiency) of US defense spending and efforts made to improve the situation. Is it the case that defense spending is subject to less criticism on the lines of efficiency and efficacy than social programs? How is patriotism used as a tool to protect the DoD and other security agencies from scrutiny? How and why are social programs scapegoats for excessive government spending when defense is by far the greatest expenditure of the US government?

22. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    What else are you interested in? Enthusiasm for your subject (along with a deeper understanding of it since you already know about it) will come through.

Sports - the difference between sports with salary caps against those without? The effect that TV/internet has had on the popularity of teams

Computers - something about distributed computing? Or crime - from a committing or detecting it online.

Food - processed against ingredients? Does GM food offer benefits or not? Is the tendency for cheap outweighing the need for quality and flavour?

Local business or historical figure that you could investigate the motivation of?

23. broken_keyboard macrumors 65816

broken_keyboard

You could write about Bloggers. Is it a passing fad? Will it evolve?

Is it destroying the news monopoly of the big networks, or just keeping them honest (e.g. Dan Rather)?

24. cyanide macrumors regular

cyanide

my honors english teacher would kill me but i think it would be great to write a huge thesis on the english language itself, evolving the dialect as you went along. As each page progressed you would slowly come from the battle of hastings to ebonics. that would rock my socks, but i dont know about your prof!!!

25. applekid macrumors 68020

Let's see...

This year's English research paper topic was about any invention that has improved life or made life worse. I did mine on velcro. Easy A. 128 out of 130 points, I think. People lost a lot of points for not having a good Works Cited page in my class.

Wrote my rough draft the about 5 AM in the morning and finished in school at like 9 AM. Don't procrastinate whatever your topic may be!

In US History AP, I had to write a thesis paper defending or disproving how the Civil War was the second part of the American Revolution. Yet another easy A for me, even though that class is hard as hell.

Just make sure to use the OWL Purdue thingy. It helps a lot.