a thought about macbooks- need advice

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mopppish, Sep 13, 2006.

  1. mopppish macrumors 6502

    Nov 27, 2005
    So, I am planning on selling my iMac and ibook to buy a middle model macbook. My intention was to break even as my computers already serve my needs. I'm just looking to get a better laptop and do away with having two computers. Since the 2.0 ghz macbook will meet or exceed the power of my imac G5 (minus the graphics power, which I don't need and is neglible compared to a Radeon 9600, and the hard drive space, which is moot because I have 2 externals), I think this makes sense.
    I am a college student and can take advantage of the free ipod offer as a way to maximize my value- I already have an ipod and would just sell the "free" ipod nano.
    It just occured to me that the difference in price between the entry level macbook and middle level macbook (at education pricing) is roughly the value of the free ipod. I was planning on waiting for the next macbook rev to maximize my value, but what am I really looking at gaining by this? First of all, I don't need C2D. I wouldn't mind the speed increase it offers, but that's realistically only around a 10% gain per clockspeed- about what I'd gain by having the 2.0ghz core duo over the 1.83ghz model. The middle macbook already has a superdrive, and I plan on maxing the RAM out once I get the computer. I guess that basically what I'm trying to say is that I want to spend as little as possible, but would also like to keep a superdrive, which is really the main difference currently between the low and middle macbook models. Seeing as to how the new $1,000 entry level imac has a 1.83ghz C2D and COMBO drive, I would expect that the next macbook rev would have similar specs if it got a C2D at all.
    So what do you think? Buy the middle macbook now and make up for the price difference between the low and middle models by selling the free ipod I get, or wait for the next update, which will happen god knows when and add who knows what features, and buy the lowest model when that happens?
    The free ipod offer ends in 3 days, so let me know what you think soon! :)
  2. JMies419 macrumors 6502

    Aug 24, 2006
    In my opinion, whenever the MBP gets merom, so will the MB. I believe this because even the lowest end PC notebooks are getting the C2D, so the MB needs to get one just to stay competitive. If we dont see a silent upgrade this morning (which still is possible!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am hoping we do!! ) then I dont think we will see the update for a few weeks at least. If you need the notebook now then get it and get your free ipod as well. Like you said, you could sell the ipod to make up for the price difference, so just go ahead and get the macbook with the superdrive. Even if you dont use the DVD burner, I think you will be very happy you purchased the superdrive 2.0ghz macbook if you ever try to sell it to buy something new. I have been sitting around for the past month trying to figure out what I am going to do as well, but I am waiting for the merom update. So in my opinion, if your not worried about merom, and need a computer now, buy the macbook 2.0ghz with the superdrive. You wont regret it! :)
  3. mopppish thread starter macrumors 6502

    Nov 27, 2005
    I should emphasize that I don't NEED a new laptop now. I have the imac and the ibook, and they both work very well. I'm selling them to get the macbook for practical reasons, and I'm only talking about getting the macbook now to take advantage of the ipod offer. I'm thinking that Apple would have to bump the bottom model macbook up to 2.0ghz or 1.83ghz C2D AND give it a Superdrive to make it equal to the middle level macbook. Do you guys see anything that they could feasibly add BESIDES those things that would make waiting worthwhile?
    Also, doesn't Apple offer something to their customers if a product they just bought was updated within 14 days from the purchase? How's that work?

Share This Page