A thought: no new hardware until after SuperBowl? (Pepsi promotion)

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by MacsRgr8, Jan 28, 2004.

1. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Just a thought:

Since Pepsi has has now covered Apple's homepage with their bottles, I think it would be unlikely that Apple would launch new hardware, because of Pepsi-iTunes promotion purposes.

Maybe Apple and Pepsi have made an agreement, as to give this mega-deal all the attention it can get.

So, I assume that if (must be, surely) Apple does have new wonderfull updates they will appear quite suddenly after the SuperBowl.

2. Pseudonym macrumors regular

My understanding of the Keynote at MWSF was that this would be celebrated as an Anniversary year rather than a particular date.

It would make sense to wait until after the Superbowl to release new hardware. There should be a lot more web traffic going Apple's way once the Pepsi giveaway starts. Lots of chance to advertise.

3. MacsRgr8 thread starter macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Steve did say that this year would be an Anniversary year.
    But there was pretty much expectation of new and/or updated hardware coming this week, and many were disappointed that nothing happend to date.

Seeing the Pepsi bottles all over Apple.com made me realize that there is no way Apple will compromize this iTunes promotion.

4. 7on macrumors 601

7on

Or have itunes.com temporarily take people to a dual G5 checkout. Ka-ching

5. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Yeah, good point on the Pepsi/iTunes not necessarily being compatible with a roll out of new hardware. Sad though - especially since I'm specifically waiting for a new G5.....

well, I'll be waiting to hear something after the SuperBowl, but I have a few doubts anything will happen.

D :(

6. MetallicPenguin macrumors 6502

So should we be waiting until after the Super Bowl or after the promotion? I would think after the promotion is over we would start seeing some updated hardware, and it also isn't too close to anything, and now I'm dragging my point for some reason, now I'm just babbling.

7. isus macrumors regular

8. MacsRgr8 thread starter macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

I really do expect the G5 @ 3 GHz by the end of the summer. I can't believe that Steve would have said that at WWDC last year, if he wasn't pretty sure about it. Imagine the bad press if he were wrong.... :rolleyes:

I also cannot believe that the 2 to 3 GHz jump would be a single "leap".

IMHO Apple MUST upgrade the G5 desktop models very, very quickly.
    Personally. I think Apple could have done it allready, but this Pepsi/iTunes thing is just too big. Let the desktop models wait a week or two.