A "To-Do List" App?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by d wade, Aug 4, 2006.

1. d wade macrumors 65816

d wade

I like to make lists of my daily/weekly chores or errands that i must take care of so i dont forget. Or even write stuff down like if i hear a song i like on the radio, i write it down to check it out in the iTunes music store.

is there any applications that are like "to-do" lists? somewhere to keep little scribbles of the day organized?

there probly isnt, but i was just checking to see if maybe anyone knew.

2. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

3. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

OmniOutliner by the Omni Group. (It's included on MacBook Pros, I don't know about other Mac models)

4. reh macrumors 6502a

I usually just use TextEdit to make my lists. You could also use Stickies (the regular app or the dashboard widget).

5. treblah macrumors 65816

treblah

6. MacRumoron macrumors 6502

7. radiantm3 macrumors 65816

radiantm3

I use www.backpackit.com. I love it so much I pay the 5 extra bucks a month for the extra services. It's a web application that definitely competes with desktop applications.

8. Queso macrumors G4

Agreed on this one. You can nest the tasks too. Absolutely invaluable.

9. slackersonly macrumors 6502a

slackersonly

macworld had a good article on this in their august issue on to do list options.
    i cant find it online but you can probably still browse it at your local bookstore.

10. wako macrumors 65816

You should check out www.todotxt.com

thats what I use. with the combination of GeekTool, it allows your list to stay anywhere on your desktop to be seen all the time.

11. EGT macrumors 68000

EGT

12. Max on Macs macrumors 6502

Max on Macs

I use three apps for this: iCal - I use it for basic calendar events, meetings, to-dos, etc...

OmniOutliner Professional - I use this for extensive planning of projects (e.g. developing new apps, marketing strategies, that kindo f yadda yadda)

Stickies - a great app for just jotting stuff down and keeping it where you will see it at the right sort of time.

Also setting colours for folders is a good way of keeping yourself organised. For projects I'm working on I use colours to show the order of importance for various things or the status of completion.

13. Flowbee macrumors 68030

Flowbee

14. poppe macrumors 68020

poppe

Me not having a Mac I can't say much so please hold your torches when I propose this.

What about stickies? I mean to just write song down quick, or to say don't forget to pick up the kids today, wouldn't that work?

15. Flowbee macrumors 68030

Flowbee

I think at minimum, a "to-do list" app should have the ability to organize to-dos by priority, context, or some other criteria, and have the ability to "check off" things as they're done. Otherwise, why not just use a basic text-editor, or index cards?

16. poppe macrumors 68020

poppe

Oh that makes sense. I was just at CompUSA playing with a MBP and opened stickies and it had all these pre loaded things like what he was talking about. Songs, and things to do for the day. Not so much reminders and priority organizers but you know just writting a quick note and what not. So I just was wondering if that would work.

17. tjwett macrumors 68000

tjwett

iCal's To-Do list is nice and you can easily assign Priorities and Due Dates and sort accordingly.

18. d wade thread starter macrumors 65816

d wade

exactly. i was looking for more than just a little jot down app, i could have just easily written on a piece of paper. but i would like to save it, organize it, and prioritize it.

i didnt think there would be so many responses. thanks for the info, i'll look up these apps

19. OttawaGuy macrumors 6502a

OttawaGuy

Overview, its a small "task manager" type app. I downloaded it a while back.

From the Overview manual:
    "Overview is great at handling multiple task lists. You can create categories to handle such
    things as, agendas, tasks, meeting notes, shopping lists and much more. We all lead
    busy lives and often have a long list of things we need to get done, often we forget! So
    why not make life easier for yourself by using Overview. "

http://www.realmacsoftware.com/support/viewtopic.php?id=1009

20. terriyaki macrumors 6502a

Wow this looks really interesting. Thanks.

21. d wade thread starter macrumors 65816

d wade

i got checklist, and it was exactly what i was looking for. i may try some of the other suggestions as well

22. coastertux macrumors regular

23. terriyaki macrumors 6502a

Flowbee, do you think you could explain to me how I go about interacting with kGTD through Quicksilver?

24. Flowbee macrumors 68030

Flowbee

http://www.kinkless.com/kgtd/guide/quicksilver

* You use cmd or ctrl-space to bring up Quicksilver

* Hit the . (period) key to go into text mode

* Type a note, action item, or anything that you want to add to kGTD/OmniOutliner

* Press "tab" to go to the QS action pane

* Start typing kgtd to bring up the kGTD action

* Hit return to send your note to your kGTD inbox

It sounds like a lot of steps, but it's really easy to do. No matter what you're in the middle of, it only take s a couple seconds to add an item to OmniOutliner. It's much less of a distraction than pulling up OmniOutliner, going to your inbox, entering your note, and going back to the program you were using. You can also send notes directly to projects and lists in OmniOutliner. See the link above.

25. DavidFDM macrumors regular