A Tuff Choice

Discussion in 'Games' started by Patmian212, Nov 29, 2005.

1. Patmian212 macrumors 68020

Patmian212

If you were me which system would you pick(both systems are un-modded and price is no object),
    1. Xbox+2 controllers with, NBA Live 2002, Jedi Outcast and Splinter cell

2. GameCube+1 controller+1 memory cards with, Supermario Sunshine, FIFA 03, Medal of Honor frontline, Need for speed underground 1 and 2

Which would you pick and why, also are any realistic racing games available for these systems? IE: Gran turismo.

2. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

i'd choose the xbox because i'm an xbox fanboy and hate the gamecube (except ssb). also, as far as realistic racing games, project gotham racing 1 and 2 are awesome, but they can't touch gran turismo :(
    also, playing MoH on the gamecube probably wouldn't be great because a) it's a console and b) its analog sticks are worse than the xbox or ps2's.

3. Patmian212 thread starter macrumors 68020

Patmian212

Xbox-1
    GC- 0

Also I will be getting these systems free, so money is no object, except for buying games and such.

4. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

I'd get the GameCube, but I would get Super Smash Bros and Metroid Prime (only $5 used at GameStop, $10 new, no reason not to get it). MP got a 9.8 out of 10. These games are REQUIREMENTS if you have a GameCube.

5. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

Depends. How old are you? ;)

As for racing, Xbox by far. Forza crushes GT. Racing on a Cube is limited to what, Mario Cart? :)

6. Patmian212 thread starter macrumors 68020

Patmian212

The race is heating up
    XBX-2
    GC- 1

EDIT: Don M. NOTHING crushes GT

7. Patmian212 thread starter macrumors 68020

Patmian212

I noticed metroid prime 2 is out, if I go with the GC what should I get 1 or 2?

8. muffinman macrumors 6502

muffinman

how about both? if money is no issue, just get the whole lot

9. Patmian212 thread starter macrumors 68020

Patmian212

Money is no issue considering the systems because I can get 1 for free, buying games is an issue since im only 16, so I wanna get the best possible game for the cash/fun ratio.

10. risc macrumors 68030

risc

I've owned every home console this generation and the GameCube is by far my favourite, but then I'm not too interested in sports games (although Mario Power Tennis and Mario Superstar Baseball kick a$$) or first person shooters. I vote for the GameCube!

11. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Start with 1. Both games are equally good, but you need to go through the story on 1 before you get to 2 or you will be very confused.

And 1 is literally $5 at GameStop now, while 2 still costs $30 or $40.

GameCube is the best system for platformers, adventure games (Zelda, Metroid Prime, etc), and party games. It also has a good RPG assortment, and a lot of very unique titles (Mario Kart, Smash Bros, etc).
    PS2 is the best for racing and RPGs.
    XBox is the best for FPS and sports and has a good assortment of racing games as well.

12. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

as my Polish grandfather would say... cha! limited racing? I suppose your one of those people who has never seen F-Zero GX. Best racing game ever? certainly mine (Single player at least, Mario Kart DS has the multiplayer). blows any other speed-racer out of the water. thats what happens when Nintendo AND Sega make a game. well, thats if you want a racing game not sim.

Depends on how old you are. If you're past the 'look at me mum im so l33t an m@tur3' age then I'd go for the cube. but only if you're going to get the classics. play Prime 1 first then play 2. they really could be the greatest adventure games ever. Sunshine is quite good, certainly got a lot of enjoyment out of that game but there are much better games. Windwaker is brilliant. F-Zero GX is beyond excellent. but don't expect a walk in the park. its an absurdly japanese game. split second challenges await ye.

Cube.

13. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

well if its a cash/fun ratio then the answer is simple. Gamecube focuses on games, Xbox seems to focus on simulations.

14. kingcrowing macrumors 6502a

kingcrowing

I just got an Xbox 1 in the mail yesterday, and man, its good to have one back :D (I had one last year and sold it to buy a Guitar, and I just traded some stuff for an xbox again...) I had a Gamecube over the summer too, and I didnt like it that much... the xbox has GTA 3-5, many of the games on the 360 and PS2, the best graphics, tons of prepherials, the price of used games is gonna go down cause of the 360, it plays DVDs, online play (if you liek that...), mod chips/HD, and the most racing games (no GT, but enough of a variety of other ones to make up for it) so thats where my vote goes

15. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

i would say get the Gamecube. there is already another xbox generation out and the cube got some good games....well it depends on your style. i would get the cube since thier generation will not be renewed until mid 2006.

Bless

16. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

Gamecube all the way. New Zelda game coming out in March ^_^

17. pknz macrumors 68020

pknz

This is my steriotypical look at it:

If your into 'westernised games' go for the XBox. If your into 'asianised games' go for the GameCube.

Western games tend to be more realistic.
    Asian games tend to be more about cute things.

Maybe I am just begging to be flamed.

18. cartoonfox macrumors regular

cartoonfox

i would get a gamecube. but dont get need for speed1/2 get burnout 2, and maybe need for speed most wanted.
    metroid prime 1 and 2 is a must, if you only get one now, get metroid prime 1, and then get 2 when you can.
    get residnent evil 4 too!!! tha game is amazing.

have fun, what ever console/games you get : ]

19. Patmian212 thread starter macrumors 68020

Patmian212

WoW a lot of different opinions on these boads, I am leaning towards gamcube now but if they only had a friggin good realistic racing game with no dumbass japanese cars, I dont see the fun in pimping a civic lol.
    XBX-3
    GC- 5

EDIT: Can I get the old super mario and donkey cong games originally for snes for the GC, hopefully more then 1 game on a disc?

20. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Yeah, GameCube doesn't have any racing sims. It has racing games, but not sims like Forza and Gran Turismo.

F-Zero GX and Mario Kart are pretty awesome racing games, although Mario Kart Double Dash isn't as good as some of the other Mario Karts. F-Zero looks sweet though. And there's always games like Burnout and Need for Speed if you want real cars.

I don't think so, but on the Nintendo Revolution (Nintendo's next system, you probably know, but in case you don't) with its games downloading service you can. And since its backwards compatible with the GameCube and has all the ports and memory card slots, all your GC stuff would carry over if you upgrade next year when it comes out.

An XBox, on the other hand, will not. None of the hardware for the XBox like controllers and memory cards will carry to the 360; no way to transfer save games. On top of that, most of the games won't, either. Of the games you list...
    NONE of them are currently compatible with the XBox 360.

I don't know if you plan to upgrade to next gen, but keep in mind that if you go with a GameCube, the Revolution is the cheapest next gen system (less money to upgrade) and all peripherals (controllers, memory cards, etc) and games carry over, while on the 360, they do not, and the 360 costs much more.

EDIT: Hm, well technically you could get the GameBoy Player and buy any of the NES or SNES Mario games or Donkey Kong games for GameBoy Advance, and put them in the GameCube that way. But that's the expensive way to do it ;)

21. cvalda macrumors member

I vote GameCube. I LOOOOOOOOOOVE the GameCube controller for FPS games; it's so intuitive and fluid and everything is just perfect. I've played Timesplitters 2 on PS2, GC and Xbox, and it was so so much more fun on the GC.

The GC also has: Pikmin 1 +2, Super Smash Bros Melee, Metroid Prime 1 (I didn't care for MP2), Zelda: Wind Waker (I thought it was fun, but not great), Mario Tennis, GAMEBOY PLAYER which is AWESOME (playing GBA games on it is so great), and much more.

The Xbox is still an amazing console, with some top notch games like Splinter Cell and PGR, but you can get the Splinter Cell games on GameCube with almost the same graphics qualities and controls, but GameCube definently does NOT have an A+ racer on it. The GameCube is more of a platformer (GET BILLY HATCHER), Multiplayer console, while the Xbox is more for single player sports, FPS games and online play.

22. shadowmoses macrumors 68000

shadowmoses

It all depends what you are looking for, if you are into racing games get an xbox as project gotham 2 is probably the best racing game of its generation (yes better than GT,maybe not as realistic but certainly a better game), With the xbox you will also have the option to convert it into a media centre which will also allow you to emulate many games, play divX movies, and play Picture slideshows....Xbox also has better FPS's (Halo1 + 2, Half Life 2, Far Cry) dont care what people say about metroid, it isnt a real FPS......

I am in no way bashing the GC as it is a great console but if your not into nintendo games i wouldnt bother.....Anyway you can always pick up a GC for next to nothing as they sell second hand on eBay for £35 or 55 euros

Also if your getting them both free the xbox seems like a better deal....

SO my vote goes to Xbox but its upto you my freind,

Shadow;)

23. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

I'm going to emphasize this; Metroid Prime is NOT a FPS. It's a first person adventure game, not a first person shooter. Shooting is how the combat is done, but it is not a typical shooter game.

24. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Prime is not an FPS. Did someone call it an FPS here? it aint. Its an adventure game and gave birth to the FPA genre, or didn't. Thief comes to mind.

And will people stop calling games like GT and Forza rancing games, they are simulations. sims. not THE Sims. but sims. a game has always been something that takes you away from reality, a sim strives towards reality.

yea for the backwards compatibility. get the cube and some games then when the Rev is released at $200/£130 you'll be laughing, flog the cube for $20 and play yer old games :)

EDIT: yes you can mod your Xbox. if you got it i would recommend you mod too. the media centre is the Xboxs saving grace for me. until I get my HDTV I can only plug scart into my current TV so it made easy for watching films on something bigger than my PowerBooks screen :)
    jeez last time I played an actual xbox game was months ago too! to see if GTA:SA was any good (it was not). without modding I would have sold on my Xbox.

25. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

Get the GameCube. It's the only place you can play Smash Bros, Mario, Zelda (including the gorgeous new realistic version coming out soon), Metroid 1+2, Mariokart, not to mention millions of others.

Most of the good games on Xbox and PS2 are also available for GameCube. Don't listen to people who say it's just for kids - it's the common misconception that has partly killed it by retailers (including the N64) but remember you can still get Resident Evil, Splinter Cell, Timesplitters, plus loads of other games that are more adult.

But who cares if Mario has bright colours? I like it.