Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrAverigeUser

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 20, 2015
europe
Instead of posting the url again and again for people having issues with it, I will post this here with the tags needed to automatically find it. Hope this is ok for the moderators. If not, just delete the Thread.
(Disclaimer: I am neither the author of the video nor someone near to him. I just found this video and it is rather worth to be recommended)

This video is just excellent because he explains not only how to replace the ribbon cable, he shows as well one of the (multiple) reasons why the ribbon cable fails sometimes even repetitive (which is costly) and how to pretend at least one of the reasons for ribbon cable failure.

The point is that manufacturing the unibody includes a fine treatment of the OUTER surface of the unibody but the inner side rests rough on microscopic level, so keeping its abrasive potential forever. This is a sort of design flaw concerning the manufacturing process made by apple.

(If you ask me: This should lead to a "extended replacement program" . Apple shurely will deny any responsibility as they always do… )

The method for prevention may even serve as a short test to confirm a defective ribbon cable - if you have HDD/SSD related issues - just try the trick. If is resolves your problem, you are shure that you need only exchange the cable. But: If the issue is persistent, this does NOT exclude ribbon cable failure because the cable might already be too much damaged to work correctly.
Before replacing your ribbon cable don´t forget to protect the new cable as described in the video to prevent a second or even third failure of the cable because of the lack of finish of the inner side of the unibody surface!

Last edited:

mortenjensen

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2012
I have the issues of spinning fly-wheel - but my MBP is a late 2011. Does this solution cover that one as well?
As I recall, I have a plastic-kind cable running beneath the drive - maybe that is something different?
Morten

MrAverigeUser

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 20, 2015
europe
I have the issues of spinning fly-wheel - but my MBP is a late 2011. Does this solution cover that one as well?
As I recall, I have a plastic-kind cable running beneath the drive - maybe that is something different?
Morten

Yes, the cable under the disk is the ribbon cable - and YES, this CAN be also the case in EVERY unibody MBP

mortenjensen

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2012
Thx,
What about the tape - are we just talking regular colored tape (ie. not standard tape, but tape used to isolate wires and so)?
Morten

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.