A very intreresting question!

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by digiculture, Feb 9, 2003.

1. digiculture macrumors newbie

Ok, this may seem stupid or it may not. I'm going to buy a 17" Powerbook, mainly to run CubaseSX (music recording software). It has built in Bluetooth like the new Powermacs and the new 17" iMac.

What I'm wondering is if this "built in" Bluetooth might just be like the "built in" Airport Extreme. What I mean is like the Airport Extreme in fact is just a card that comes in the slot and is therefore not truly built in, could this "built in" Bluetooth just be a USB Bluetooth device that comes in an internal USB port??

I know it's unlikely but I for one would like that very much because Cubase SX comes with a USB dongle and I'd just love to be able to remove the Bluetooth device and insert the dongle inside the laptop, therefore not needing to have that damn dongle sticking out when I run Cubase.

It should be very easy to check this out on the new Powermacs, just open the door and look for the Bluetooth device. If it's a USB device you can't miss it, however if you cant spot it then it's not USB and is truly built in.

Does anyone have the time (about 30-90 seconds propably) to check this out? I really hate dongles!

Gústi
    Digiculture
    Iceland

2. WannabeSQ macrumors 6502

I don't think the bluetooth simply plugs into an inernal usb port, but I see your point.

You might want to look at the hack people did to the 15" powerbook to get bluetooth internal, by soldering in their bluetooth to the usb on the motherboard. I imagine you could do the same thing with your usb dongle. I think you will have to wait til someone cracks open a 17" pbook to see if there's room. I feel for you, I hate having things sticking out the side of a computer, its just waiting to be broken off.

3. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Re: A very intreresting question!

First, Bluetooth is no less built-in than RAM that is not soldered to the motherboard. Anything that the factory installs inside your computer is built-in. The 17" PowerBook comes with Bluetooth installed. You can remove it, but to what end. Nothing else fits in the slot. I am aware of no USB internal ports in Apple computers. You can plug your USB dongle into a port on the rear of your desktop Mac CPU or into one of USB ports on the keyboard.

4. macktheknife macrumors 6502a

macktheknife

digiculture: I think I know what you're asking. Yes, Bluetooth is "built-in" for the 12-inch and 17-inch PowerBook models. It is not an external USB adaptor like Bluetooth support for the 15-inch model.

5. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

here is your answer on the bluetooth directly from my new powermac setup manual.

" Bluetooth is not user installable. IF you did not purchase your Powermac with Bluetooth installer, you can purchase an external third party Bluetooth adapter."

I think that will go the same for the PowerBook.

iJon

6. digiculture thread starter macrumors newbie

I guess I'll just have to live with that nasty thing sticking out of the laptop then. Thanks for the reply.

Gústi
    Digiculture
    Iceland

7. benixau macrumors 65816

benixau

i just want to clarify what has been said:

PB 12" and PB 17" have internal bluetooth. you do not need a USB dongle

PB15" and, currently, every other mac needs a USB dongle.

same reason AP-X is never going to be an option for AP-C macs. by doing it this way, when you want to get AP-X you have to buy a new mac. clever people at apple, huh!

8. digiculture thread starter macrumors newbie

Uh, let me clarify the question. I'm not really asking about bluetooth, I'm looking for a way that I can install the USB dongle that I do need to run CubaseSX (wich has nothing to do whith bluetooth) inside a Powerbook 17" so it wont be sticking out of the computer. I'm sorry if my first post was unclear. I realise that this is something that will not be answered until the Powerbook 17" starts shipping but I wanted to know what you guys think.

So here's the question:

Is there any way to install a USB dongle (about the same size as a USB Bluetooth unit) inside a Powerbook 17"??

So if you have any thougts on this, please post them.

Thanks for the help,
    Gústi
    Digiculture
    Iceland

9. yzedf macrumors 65816

yzedf

My thoughts are yes, and no.

Yes you probably will be able to squeeze it in there somewhere. Would really want to? Not me.

That would void your warranty. Big risk if that little dongle melts or something... you would be out a lot of $$$$.