A "veterans" sub-forum?

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by 50548, Nov 5, 2012.

1. Guest

I was just wondering the other day: what if MR created a "veterans" sub-forum congregating all those with a 68030 status or above to have some mature discussion on all things Apple?

In other words, just a separate section for those who have dedicated a considerable amount of time/posts over here, and who would wish to talk to fellow "veterans" in a light-hearted and adult way (i.e., avoiding childish over-reactions), where even a "veteran's trolling" would be rightly regarded as a joke to laugh about?

What do other fellow veterans/Demi-Gods think?

2. Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

3. macrumors newbie

Sounds like a good idea though I would make the cutoff the 601 level. Everyone knows you aren't truly serious and worthy of an elite status until 5,000 posts. And no buying your way in...post experience only.

4. macrumors 68020

Comeagain?

Because everyone who has been around for a while are worthy of having their own lengthy discussions in a civilized manor, and as soon as us lowly posters who only have 1,500 posts join, said discussion will fall to pieces. Makes total sense.

</sarcasm>

5. macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

The number of posts is not a factor to co sider for anything.
    Everyone should be free to join a thread in my opinion. Newbies' posts are as worthy as anyone else's.

6. macrumors newbie

7. macrumors 68030

The Amalgamated States of Central North America
    I kind of like the idea only because it would make me special, as I almost qualify (2,238 posts—that seems low to me somehow). I have been registered since 2003, though, and lurked before that. But in reality, I'm not sure that I feel that I need a special place to post.

8. macrumors 6502a

9. macrumors demi-god

ChristianJapan

Everyone once started ... Give us a chance to learn from the elder and to grow

Benched ...

10. Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Imho

Exactly this. IMO everyone was new here somewhen and to exclude others because of this seems unjust.

11. macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Agreed. In doing something like the OP's suggestion you are omitting some long-time members. Just because you don't have 20k posts or something silly like that does not mean you shouldn't be considered a veteran IMHO.
    Exactly. Look at me, I'm a total *******! :D

12. macrumors P6

MacDawg

13. Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

But you're our total *******! :D

14. macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

This is absolutely true!

15. Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Yes, I see your point. I expect that quite a few of us started out as 'long time lurkers'; certainly, I did, and only joined MR because I thought it would be nice to be able to find out stuff, and, more to the point, be able to ask questions about a MBP I had bought three months earlier.

Exactly. Well said. ;)

I agree completely with this - we were all 'newbies' once upon a time, and, for that matter, most of us have been in the position where we have asked questions which may have seemed pointless, or repetitive, or simply clueless.

But that is the point of sites and fora such as this. You ask, in the safety of a secure (and anonymous) environment, and hopefully, some kind and knowledgeable soul takes it upon themselves to give you a reply which answers your question.

Then, some day, weeks, or months, or years, later, you are the one giving answers to questions which may well have been asked at least a thousand times before.

Nah - I like the mix of old and new - and meeting new - I was about to write 'faces', but let us say, 'avatars' and new noms-de-plume while trawling and participating in these fora.

The WW & EM games have had a terrific mix of old and new players - which is a wonderful way to get to meet new people.

16. Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Not a good idea IMO either. Just as others stated, some folks would be left out who've been here a long time, but don't have the higher post count, and longevity ≠ maturity.

17. macrumors P6

dukebound85

why 68030? or is it because that way you are included? haha

18. macrumors 603

Carlanga

I believe you need to have a certain amount of posts to write on the community discussions section & marketplace so I guess you would want to increase the post count possible. Also, your #'s are low for someone that started on '05 only 1.5 posts per day; so if you want true veterans how people w/ about 3-4 posts per day :p

19. Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Seems too cliquish and exclusionary, MR is about community, helping those who come here for it, discussing apple products now and what will be in the future. Having a forum of people who have a high post count seems to run against the grain of that ideal.

20. macrumors 6502a

SlasherDuff

Dislike

I have been a member here for four years and haven't reached 500 posts yet

21. macrumors 6502a

... or a lurkers only forum!

--- peace and quiet ---

:)

22. Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

This made me laugh. The perfect forum, the ones for lurkers only!

23. thread starter Guest

Actually my point was just about having an older-members' club section, those used to talking to each other on a more or less frequent basis around here. It's not at all about exclusion, but just about having a dedicated, closed sub-forum just like contributors do.

As an example, longtime members are kinda used to seeing my deliberately-provoking "MS is dead" expressions and react as expected: jokingly. However, most if not all of the younger members take this seriously and get extremely annoyed when such provoking statements are made.

In other words, a sub-forum for whisky-soaked, nonchalant discussions, where even the most heated clash of ideas does not fall victim to personal offenses.

And I don't mind at all about my post count - I just thought a 68030 level or so would constitute a reasonable threshold for having people in - if you wanted to have it as 601, so be it.

24. macrumors G5

Macman45

I don't really like the idea of some kind of "elite" sub-forum either...If I come across a thread that I consider to be inane, I just ignore it. Most members, old and new, have valid contributions to make.

25. thread starter Guest

"Older" doesn't mean "Elite" - you may as well create a "Young" sub-forum...nevermind anyway.