Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shadowfax

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2002
Houston, TX
it sounds more like a joke than anything else, heh. what is that phrase, molasses in january? that sounds like it would mean it isn't spreading... oh well.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
cool a virus. really havent had one of those before, i wonder what its like :)

iJon

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
Originally posted by shadowfax
it sounds more like a joke than anything else, heh. what is that phrase, molasses in january? that sounds like it would mean it isn't spreading... oh well.

that is a somewhat commonly used phrase, meaning that it isn;t spreading fast at all. I wonder if its true, maybe I'll 'try to get my hands on this virus' I don't beleive I have anyone in my adress book...

simX

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2002
Bay Area, CA
MAYBE IT ATTACKS THE HOLE IN fb_realpath() THAT WAS FIXED IN THE MOST RECENT SECURITY UPDATE! EVERYBODY GO TO WINDOWSUPDATE.MICROSOFT.COM AND INSTALL IT RIGHT AWAY!!!!!

Oh.... wait... sorry. :p

Seriously, though, the last virus I ever heard that infected the Mac was the MBDF A virus, that caused directory damage or something. The last time I encountered it was a few years ago back on System 7. :)

What's with Microsoft using a web-based interface to deliver their patches and stuff, anyway? I mean, wouldn't it make more sense to do something like Apple's Software Update application?

SiliconAddict

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2003
Chicago, IL
Originally posted by simX
What's with Microsoft using a web-based interface to deliver their patches and stuff, anyway? I mean, wouldn't it make more sense to do something like Apple's Software Update application?

Actually its a rather good idea depending on how you look at security vs convince.

The actual update engine is loaded when you go to the site. This allows MS to update the engine whenever. This would suggest bug fixes which is a MS trademark but can also be used to roll out new methods of securing a computer. One example is MS's baseline sec analizer. They could easily roll that into windows update and not only update windows but give a general overview of how tight the system is locked down by default on a person's system. From a security standpoint it sucks massive ***. All a hacker\cracker would need to do is hack the windows update site and infect this engine with a virus. Then whenever someone goes to the windows update site and clicks YES when it prompts for the digital cert a hacker\cracker could infect thousands within minutes. Well before MS gets off their sorry @$$ and does something to fix the problem.
FYI. Its not unprecedented that MS software has been infected with a virus before. (Never mind the fact in some circumstances MS software acts like a virus itself.) The first iteration of the .NET tools that were released to developers had Nimda imbedded in the DVD with the tools. WOO HOO! Added bonus!

Powerbook G5

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
St Augustine, FL
Yet another reason why I became a switcher...this is the kind of crap you have to deal with on the Windows side on a daily basis. I remember when I first became a switcher...I was bored out of my mind! I was so used to taking a few hours out of my schedule on a regular basis to "fix" and "maintain" Windows, but after 10 minutes with my Mac I realized I was done maintaining it...so many free summer afternoons!

AppleMatt

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2003
UK
Wow. I read about that yonks ago, but thanks to whoever started the thread.

It's quite interesting really. We only get one virus and it does buggar all.

Go us.

AppleMatt

mac15

macrumors 68040
Dec 29, 2001
Haha, I can't believe someone actually took notice of this. Its a joke plain and simple

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Didn't somebody post the OS X version a Windows e-mail virus.

Something like...

1. Please download and install this OS X virus on your computer.

2. Please forward this e-mail virus to everybody in your address book.

Mudbug

Administrator emeritus
Jun 28, 2002
North Central Colorado
I would be willing to bet that if there was in fact a virus that attacked OS X, you'd read about it here quite quickly, especially with the interest some posters have with these boards. At the moment, after a quick search of http://www.symantec.com, there's no listings of viruses for any incantation of OS X. I have no doubt one could be written, but it would take time and probably someone's beer money, so I doubt it will happen anytime soon. Symantec would however really like you to plunk down the money on antivirus software for the Macintosh - I bet the virus definitions file is small ;)

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
I think the only reason Mac OS X virus definition files are as big as they are is that MS Office viruses sometimes work pretty well on the Macintosh version of Office.

The number of native viruses was 38 for many, many years and was updated in recent years to 42. It might be more now, but that pales in comparison with the 51,000+ viruses on DOS and Windows.

simX

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2002
Bay Area, CA
Originally posted by SiliconAddict
Actually its a rather good idea depending on how you look at security vs convince.

The actual update engine is loaded when you go to the site. This allows MS to update the engine whenever. This would suggest bug fixes which is a MS trademark but can also be used to roll out new methods of securing a computer. One example is MS's baseline sec analizer. They could easily roll that into windows update and not only update windows but give a general overview of how tight the system is locked down by default on a person's system. From a security standpoint it sucks massive ***. All a hacker\cracker would need to do is hack the windows update site and infect this engine with a virus. Then whenever someone goes to the windows update site and clicks YES when it prompts for the digital cert a hacker\cracker could infect thousands within minutes. Well before MS gets off their sorry @$$ and does something to fix the problem.
FYI. Its not unprecedented that MS software has been infected with a virus before. (Never mind the fact in some circumstances MS software acts like a virus itself.) The first iteration of the .NET tools that were released to developers had Nimda imbedded in the DVD with the tools. WOO HOO! Added bonus!

I suppose for Microsoft being able to update the engine at any time is nice, but I still think Mac OS X's Software Update is better.

First of all, as you point out, security is a big issue, and it'd be harder to hack the Software Update because it's not immediately obvious to where it's connecting, and all updates are now digitally signed for protection (after that Software Update Security Update brouhaha). Of course, it's definitely not impossible to hack Software Update, but I'd bet it's much harder than Windows Update.

Second of all, the convenience isn't all that great for Microsoft. For Apple, they could just issue a Software Update Update via the control panel, and if the user wants to install any other updates, they first have to install the Software Update Update. There have been a lot of instances of update dependancies through Software Update. So it's not really that big of a deal for the convenience. I think security is a much bigger issue.

billyboy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 15, 2003
In my head
So if there are only 42 Mac (0 OX) virii v 51000 Windows viruses are Apple being a bit naughty pushing Virex quite hard as an added advantage for getting .mac? Or should we be grateful for their huge commitment to security.

I don´t know if I have a preference not set up right, but Virex only pops up when I try to open a .exe file. They never open cause I havent anything to open it with. I just dont want to get VPC or even Office vX anywhere near my PB, peace of mind is far more important to me than being in touch with the infected herd.

pyrotoaster

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2002
Oak Park, IL
Gosh, I remember when people were saying that OS X's UNIX "underpinnings" would put Mac users at risk of getting all sorts of viruses (way back when...).

Oh well, I guess our collective paranoia can't be funneled into virus panics...

benixau

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2002
Sydney, Australia
Irish/Blonde Virus

This is a virus that works on all platforms. I know the code off by heart, here it is:

Hey, You've got the Irish Virus.
This virus relies on your co-operation and good nature.
Please delete all your files, folders, programs and operating systems immediately.
Thankyou.

GeeYouEye

macrumors 68000
Dec 9, 2001
State of Denial
I once outlined a way to create an AppleScript-based virus that would eat up any free space on your HD with no way to terminate it once it was launched. Unfortunately for development of that virus, I never quite figured out a way to duplicate files via AppleScript (yes this was a very half-hearted attempt). Best I could do was to eat up all available RAM making the system pretty much unusable, and even that trick no longer works under OS X.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.