a virus???

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by soundmann18, Jul 28, 2006.

1. soundmann18 macrumors newbie

My powerbook g4 is losing memory. If I switch from one thing to another on finder, it loses .1 MB / second or so. How can I figure out what is writing to the memory?

The weird part about this is that I haven't been online in months on it, I plugged it into the network at work today to try to get online, but I couldn't get online without a password or configuring it correctly or what have you.

2. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

It can't be a virus can it if you havn't been online in ages?

Plus it's a Mac....

Which process is it that's expanding? You should be able to spot it in Activity Monitor...

3. Benjamin macrumors 6502a

Benjamin

You mean hard drive space right? if so it is probably just allocating swap space and or cache space.

4. soundmann18 thread starter macrumors newbie

I found something in my recent activity folder called "pipedaemon" i didn't like the way that sounded, so i put it in trash and restarted, now i'm not losing any memory any more, but i can't figure out what is written to my computer, I think i've lost atleast 4 GB today - i didn't notice I was losing memory until iTunes told me there was nothing available, and i think I had 6 gb free last time I used this. right now i have 156.7 MB available.

5. soundmann18 thread starter macrumors newbie

activity monitor has me at 5% usage right now, and that extra couple of gb has not showed up

6. soundmann18 thread starter macrumors newbie

ok, i just noticed that i have 4.5 GB of VM, but 1 GB of free System Memory, can I change that around some?

7. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

Take it to the local apple store and get them to fit more RAM...

Seriously though, download Disk Inventory X and nail down that file that's eating your hard drive.

8. soundmann18 thread starter macrumors newbie

g4 powerbook, already maxed out with 1.25 gb, whatever it was stopped for now atleast, next time i'm online with this i'll see what I can do- thanks for the fast replies everyone