A way to crack disk image passwords?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Bengt77, Nov 8, 2004.

1. Bengt77 macrumors 68000

Bengt77

Just yesterday I created a disk image from a folder. I chose to create an encrypted image (which means I need a password to mount it). Right after creating the image, I deleted the source folder, since I wanted all the data to be secure.

But now I can't remember the password! STUPID, STUPID ME!

Is there any way to crack the AES-128 encryption of Apple's own disk images (the ones with the *.dmg-extension)? Not that I need the files inside the specific disk image right now, but I wouldn't like them to be lost forever.

Thanks in advance, anyone! GOD, I FEEL SO STUPID!

2. thecow macrumors 6502

Did you save the password to the keychain? If you didn't, you try to remember harder because thats all that you can do.

3. Bengt77 thread starter macrumors 68000

Bengt77

Well, because it's quite sensitive information I intentionally didn't do that. So that means I'm fscked, right?!...

Darn!

4. wPod macrumors 68000

wPod

an unfortunate lesson in remebering your password. ive forgotten passwords before, but i know myself well enough to trick myself into remebering them again! haha! give it some time, maybe it will come back to you.

5. oldschool macrumors 65816

oldschool

visualize successfuly opening the locked image. sooner or later you will succeed.

6. Bengt77 thread starter macrumors 68000

Bengt77

Hehe...

Okay, that actually made me smile. Though, I'm still being mad at myself for forgetting the password. STUPID, STUPID ME!

7. oldschool macrumors 65816

oldschool

no i'm totally serious. don't try to remember the password...just imagine yourself in a world where you remember it.

i do this for lost items all the time, and more often than not i find them.

sure theres no 5% margin, or chi squared test on my results..but never the less..it works.

glad i could put a smile on your face though :D