Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

danleon950410

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 18, 2015
Bogotá, Colombia
Hey everybody!

I made this thread because i just read an article describing this trick, and it was unknown to me, but what i would like to know is if this is a feature or a bug or whatever...

Basically, holding the power button to show the "Slide to shut down" screen and then holding the home button down to return to the springboard assured that all the apps would be purged from memory.

I tested it and effectively resulted (at least) for me, the apps are still shown in the multitasking/recent list, but the OS has to load them all completely, none of them are resumed.

Now i know, you're gonna tell me that this was known, and that i just wasted a post, and that i should die and maybe some mean but completely justified things...
But if someone didn't knew this, well, they learned a new trick.

I can't get why as the user isn't technically restarting, soft reseting or even respringing (is that the correct progressive term?)...

Here's my second intention: if anyone has more info on this, or knows if this is some kind of feature or just a bug, i would gladly read all of your answers...or even how it happens.

Till then, have a good night...or day...it depens on when you are right now.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
If you do this while you are in an app that should force quit the app and has been around for a long time in iOS. Doing it outside an app (like on the home screen), I'm not quite sure what that would really do.

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
You should only use this when an application misbehaves and cannot be closed from the app switcher (double-click on home button + swiping the application to the top). There is no other reason to use this.

gixxerfool

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2008
It would seem to me, I have very little understanding of the underpinnings, when you initiate a shutdown, the first thing to happen would be all app processes would cease. So in a way it makes sense. I'm not sure why you would need to do this.

danleon950410

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 18, 2015
Bogotá, Colombia
If you do this while you are in an app that should force quit the app and has been around for a long time in iOS. Doing it outside an app (like on the home screen), I'm not quite sure what that would really do.
You're right, it does that when done within the app. And doing it on the home screen force closes every app that's running...Still weird, tho.

skwood

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2013
England
Presumably this has adverse effects on watchOS 1 apps running the app logic at that time?

danleon950410

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 18, 2015
Bogotá, Colombia
You should only use this when an application misbehaves and cannot be closed from the app switcher (double-click on home button + swiping the application to the top). There is no other reason to use this.
yeah, i know that you should never purge the app from memory as the OS manages the memory automatically. As you recommend, i only use those methods in case of errors and misbehavings.

danleon950410

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 18, 2015
Bogotá, Colombia
It would seem to me, I have very little understanding of the underpinnings, when you initiate a shutdown, the first thing to happen would be all app processes would cease. So in a way it makes sense. I'm not sure why you would need to do this.
I guess it makes sense, but as you haven't even used the "slide to shut down" slider it shouldn't happen yet...Might be bug then?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.