A way to watch Silverlight web content with PowerPC macs?

Discussion in 'Mac Applications and Mac App Store' started by ign, May 13, 2010.

1. ign
    macrumors member

Hello,
    I would like to know if anyone in this forum has a workaround for watching Microsoft Silverlight content on the internet with a PowerPC mac (G4,G5..).
    I have noticed that the silverlight site does not have download options for pre-intel macs.

I know they dropped development for the PPC machines, but I don't care, my mac mini still works ok and suits my needs fine (except silverlight!).
    Any hints are welcome (except get a new mac!! :rolleyes:)

2. macrumors G4

wrldwzrd89

Depends on what version of Silverlight the content in question requires. If it's old enough you could just use an older version of Silverlight. If that won't work then you could try Moonlight, an open-source version of Silverlight.

3. ign
    thread starter macrumors member

The fact is the site I watch must have switched to a newer version because I used to be able to watch it.
    I Went on their site but their download page does not mention the mac at all. The only option appears to be for Linux/i586 I doubt that would work on a PowerPC, or would it? Am I missing something? :confused:

4. macrumors 6502a

There must have been a PPC or UB version released at one point, because i have it installed on my G5.

5. ign

By chance do you still have the .dmg of it somewhere? when did you install it? There's no trace on the web!... it'd be nice to try it

6. ign

mission accomplished !

Here's the only straightforward solution I found for viewing silverlight content on powerpc macs:

Get the link and paste it into VLC (video lan client)! it works

• In your browser: apple+U (view web page source) on the web page with the silverlight video content, find and copy the http address (or one of them) that's the source of the video

• In your VLC application: go to VLC preferences (all) >input codecs>access modules>HTTP(S)
      paste into the "HTTP user agent field":
      HTML:
      Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en US; rv:1.9.0.6) Gecko/2009020911 Ubuntu/8.10 (intrepid) Firefox/3.0.6 
      save

• Still in VLC: apple+N (or VLC>File>Open Network), paste the link you had copied before into the "Media Resource Locator" field. Hit ok, in a matter of seconds a VLC screen will play the video!!

long live powerpc mac mini ! adieu silverlight, I don't need you!

7. macrumors newbie

vlc ?

ok so I tried this and no luck. I assume i entered the http info correctly in vlc. and i think i have a good address to try....

http://wwitv.com/tv_channels/b5791.htm

any help?
    cheers