A web designer's mac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Makyz, Sep 26, 2004.

1. Makyz macrumors newbie

Oct 11, 2003
    Right now I am in the market for a new apple computer. The story goes as this, right now I have 1000$ saved up and Im planning to double this amount in one month's time.

I predominantly use my computer for web designing and graphic applications. I currently have a rev B 12 inch Powerbook with 768 ddr ram and this basically fufills all my needs (when I span it on my 17inch monitor that is). Additionally I use it for my college work, and everything is perfect except for the battery life.

Now I am looking for an apple desktop- and with 2,000$ I'm leaning for a 20inch iMac or a refurb or low end g5 desktop. If I am dishing out 2k for a system then I want it to last me a while, and the Imac doesnt look that expandable, while a g5 does. But G5 is pretty much overkill for what I do. Adobe Creative Suite, Macromedia Suite, some IMovie amatuer videos, and lots of music. I believe that the Imac will be sufficient.

Are there any other web designers with either of these systems that could shed some light in what I should get?
  2. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

Dec 7, 2002
    Florida, USA
    Im not a designer, but I know enough to help you out.

If the G4 you have now is fast enough for your work, then a 1.8ghz G5 will be at least twice as fast, and should last for a very long while. The advantage of the built-in LCD in the iMacs sounds like its perfect for you. I would spend your money on a 20" iMac with upgraded RAM. The graphics card is not an issue because you're not doing 3D work. The graphics card is not an issue with 2D work.
  3. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Jul 4, 2004
    I'd say go for the G5 desktop -- overkill is not the way to see it.
    Think of what your future needs may be, it's far more expandable.

About 18 months ago, I had a choice between a dual 1.25 with combo drive or a dual 1.42 with super drive. Although I had no plans to burn DVDs at the time, I soon discovered that after all, maybe I just wanted/needed to...

No regrets at all.

If you are planning on doing some serious video or Photoshop, you may appreciate the ability to add lots of RAM or put a 2nd fast drive in for a scratch disk.

And a second processor does make a difference...
  4. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

Mar 25, 2002
    London, England
    I think I'd lean towards the iMac too. The 1.8GHz G5 (with it's 600MHz BUS, SATA 7200RPM drive + max 2GB RAM) will be a lot faster than your 1GHz G4 (167MHz BUS, 4200/maybe 5400RPM drive). For the kind of things you describe doing having a great display should be very important to you, and aside from the 23"/30" HD displays you won't do much better than the 20" you will get with your iMac. IMO there's no point in having a kick ass machine if your interface with it (your monitor) is crap.

Go with the iMac.
  5. James L macrumors 6502a

Apr 14, 2004
    I would go iMac also, but get the biggest HD and the most RAM you can afford.

I run my web design/video editing business completely off of a powerbook (15" 1.5Ghz), and the only limitation I feel is with the 80GB HD. It is a pain to only be able to work on 1 video project at a time on this machine.

You will dig the new iMac, have fun!

6. jaromski macrumors regular

Jun 18, 2004
    go pmac buddy

i would get the powermac. it is extra dough but that is the ultimate machine. it may seem like overkill now but once you use it for a bit you will wonder how you got one before it.

the downside of a powermac is that you have to get a separate display and that costs more $$$. but i had the chance yesterday to play around with the latest rev powermac 2.0ghz + new cinema display vs. the 20 imac. the powermac was much more responsive and the screen was much crisper than the imac. the imac screen seemed "washed out" - but only in comparison to the powermac's lovely cinema display. both units did seem to run a bit hot...

but if apple made the imac the same level of quality as the powermac they would shoot themselves in the foot on their high-end sales. who would buy the high-end machine if the low/middle-end imac is the same?

plus you are limited with the all-in-one solutions for the "what if" scenarios of tomorrow. unless your what-if scenarios can be serviced by usb/firewire connections (e.g. add external firewire drive, etc) but don't you think that bastardizes the whole concept of the new imac? i do, but maybe i am over-analyzing the whole thing.

in short go pmac, if you are a full-time college student they will knock a few hundred bucks off the price. what have you got to lose?

7. HeyMAC macrumors newbie

Sep 15, 2004
    I would say its a toss up. If your willing to run thin on money go for a powermac, but the iMac is an awesome deal. an Apple 20 inch cinema display is 1100,but if you buy a imac 20" your basically paying 600 dollars for a computer.
  8. pckilla macrumors member

Apr 1, 2004
    Id go for the imac...i just got the new 20 inch model and its great!Unless your planning on final cut or other proccessor intensive tasks it will save you alot of money... :)