Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dray67

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 4, 2011
UK
Firstly let me say straight off the bat I don't need the Pro as a "pro" device, I was more than happy with my 3rd gen ipad as a media consumption device, I always liked the idea of a bigger iPad and when the rumours first started doing the rounds I promised myself that if it ever saw light of day and wasn't prohibitively expensive I'd dive in.

That day has come, I was all set to go for the 32gb version but my wife got me the 128gb pro as an early xmas present, even better, but at £850 plus a smart cover it's not exactly great value, I don't need the pencil and will probably not get one either this is just my thoughts of it as a bigger better iPad so I will only mention a few things that I noticed were a different from my 3rd gen iPad other than the size.

Firstly the screen is amazing as we'd all expect but it seems to me to be an even bigger smudge magnet than my last iPad, not that it takes away from it's use, as most of you will know you only really notice this when its off or at a sharp angle.

The weight is fine for me, it is noticeably heavier but not massively so, but it's certainly not as comfortable to hold for any great length of time unlike its smaller siblings, but lets be fair there's few instances where I would find myself struggling with it for my type of use. Where the size did make something more difficult was typing in portrait mode as having to hold it near the bottom tended to make it feel unstable, to compensate I found I had to shift my grip a little higher on the bezel which didn't make typing as easy as I would like. I also seem to make more typing errors and I don't understand why but it's really bad.

Using it for browsing, reading, and watching content is fantastic, I not going to lie here I'd always wanted something a little bigger so I knew it would be a positive experience, where I was pleasantly surprised was using it for Excel, I use excel a lot at work and my laptop is a 13" rMbp and I wont be expecting to use the iPad Pro instead of either of those for any heavy lifting but I thought I'd have a look at Excel and it was a good experience, the the bigger screen is a plus in this regard and if I really had no other choice I guess I would use it as a stop gap.

To finish off this brief summary I'll cover gaming, I love gaming, my gaming PC is a high spec X99 build and is my weapon of choice but there's certain types of games that lend themselves to a touch interface and I'm not going to ignore the pro for gaming, I bought Baldurs Gate and X-Com and both are fantastic on the Pro and the performance is amazing, but as with all tablets it hits the battery quite hard.

TLDR.

If you have the cash and want something a little bigger for content consumption I think it's the best tablet bar none.

CjonesHouston

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2015
Texas
I have been enjoying my Pro experience from day one. I never expected it to replace my MacBook Air but it has. For what I do on a day to day. I do have the accessories to complete my Pro experience and that is what takes it over the edge for me. I'm not an artist or a designer. My career is Logistics. I use the Pencil for taking notes. The Smart Keyboard is nice to have as a cover and Keyboard. When I need to type a long email or using it to type daily work orders for delivery's. Media consumption like with any iPad is the best in tablets. The Pro takes it to another level. The speaker quality is superior. The screen resolution is spectacular. The speed is faster than my MacBook Air.

dray67

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 4, 2011
UK
I must admit the note taking side of the pencil would be nice to try but I at the moment I really don't need one beyond curiosity, early days yet though.... :)

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
I must admit the note taking side of the pencil would be nice to try but I at the moment I really don't need one beyond curiosity, early days yet though.... :)
The note taking side is great for work, also the keyboard stylus is awesome. Being able to write and have it change it to text is great when your taking note and need to text, Danes switching to the keyboard.

Reactions: CjonesHouston

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Agree with the conclusion. Best tablet by far if the size/weight is good for you and you have the £££

I've removed my apple keyboard and only put it back on when I need to use it. For me it's adds a lot of weight, it's lot like the iPad Air Smart Cover

engineerben

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2010
Greenville Tx
I got my IPP on Tuesday, and agree with the OP comments. My observations:

First, it's a big iPad. Expect no more than that, and you'll be fine. I never expected it to replace my notebook computer, so my expectations weren't super-sized, and I'm really happy with the IPP.

Second, it's a really nice iPad. The screen is the brightest and clearest I've ever seen. I'm a little nearsighted, and when using it without glasses I tend to hold it closer to my face than its design parameters. Under these conditions, the off-angle clarity of the display is honestly not so great. Nevertheless, it's an amazing display.

The sound is amazing, too. I usually use Bluetooth speakers to amp up the volume from my iPhone or iPad 2. Not anymore: the IPP drives enough volume with enough clarity to eliminate the need for BT speakers in most of my typical use cases.

Not as amazing is the smart cover. The smart cover for the IPP is divided into three segments that arrange into a triangle to support it standing (for movie viewing, for example) or lying at a tilt (for most other tasks.) But with only three segments, it's not particularly stable. The four-segment smart cover in the iPad 2 left one segment to overlap, and made the whole thing rock-solid. Ah, well.

But the smart cover for the IPP has much stronger magnets than were used in the IP2. Don't get me wrong - the IP2 was completely stable, but the magnets on the IPP cover really don't want to let go. Even when you swing the cover around back, the magnets stick to the back of the IPP on the right edge. Very handy!

I've ordered the pencil and the keyboard, but really, I may not use the keyboard much. I hate typing on glass, but the IPP spaces the keys in an arrangement that is really very comfortable. My guess is that I'll travel without the Smart Keyboard most of the time unless I know I'm going to be doing a lot of writing.

I tried the pencil at the store, and was really impressed! My objective isn't so much art as it is being able to take detailed handwritten notes and file them away. If it lets me do this, it'll be worth every penny. But it just flat isn't true that there's "no" lag in writing - it's there, but it small enough that it didn't impact my ability to take notes.

One last thing: it looks bigger than it feels. Holding it is very comfortable to me (I'm a pretty big guy, though) even though it still feels awkward reaching for controls across such a big surface. Reading on that screen is simply wonderful - books are sharp as a razor and clear, with no jaggies or other rendering artifacts. And with that size, it's like every book is suddenly the size of a tabloid newspaper.

Anyway, that's my experience. Can't wait to spend a few days with the pencil...

BrennerM

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2010
Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
Another casual couch user here...agree on all points. I find it is barely heavier than my iPad 3 because I had my 3 in a bulky case. I got a simple back-only case for the iPP and it doesn't add much weight but it makes it less slippery in the hands which is why I bought it.

Try the game "Smash Hit" on the iPad Pro...it is amazing, especially the sound through the excellent speakers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.